Featured A Bunch Of Little Mexico Pottery Animals What Are We Called

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jakes vintage, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I didn' find any from Chiapas at least not like these, but thank you looks like I did very well.

Bronwen and SBSVC like this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I have a small collection of the little painted ones. I can guarantee that they are from Chiapas. Here are some: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558305685032152151/

Yes, you got a good buy, but don't be misled by over-optimistic "Buy it Now" prices on eBay. I don't want to be the one to throw cold water on your expectations, but I think the suggestion that they would sell in the $10 range is more realistic.

I've never paid more than $5 for the Chiapas figures, and I have about two dozen. But I've never bought any on eBay. (I have seen them mistakenly listed as Native American, from Acoma, or Zuni, or Isleta, which they definitely are not.) I would expect the ones from Atzompa will go for more than the Chiapas figures.

Any Jewelry, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  3. jakes vintage

I promise I didn' doubt these were not Chiapas, I just meant I didn' see any on ebay to get an idea from.

SBSVC likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't realize you just checked ebay.

It's useful for seeing what similar items have sold for recently, but not really a good source for identifying items, especially in the area of Native American or ethnic/tribal arts.

Unfortunatelly, the majority of new listings under Native American pottery, basketry, and weaving are often misidentified, or are not actually Native American.

SBSVC likes this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

There probably aren't that many listings for Chiapas pottery animals because they tend to sell for so little. That's why, when they do show up, it's usually in a group lot, to make it worth the time and effort.

SBSVC likes this.
  6. Arlie

Arlie New Member

Teodora Blanco artist?? Search

7. Arlie

Arlie New Member

Teodora Blanco artist?? Search

8. jakes vintage

Lots of great info, thank you everyone!!

SBSVC likes this.
  9. Arlie

Arlie New Member

Teodora Blanco ?? Artist search

10. Arlie

Arlie New Member

Teodora Blanco ?? Artist search

11. Kathleen Finn

Kathleen Finn New Member

Hello Jake and anyone else.
    I am a very very new member. I was attracted to your posting of the little clay Mexican figures? I have a few myself. Does anyone know where I can find others (mine have not aged very well... they appeal to children!). Thank you for any help.

Draft saved Draft deleted