A chair from Commonwealth Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Scott Thompson, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Scott Thompson

Scott Thompson New Member

I have a chair from my grandpa it's from Commonwealth Pennsylvania department of Labor and Industry harrisburg registry no 442 I don't know any history on it can anyone help?

i need help likes this.
  2. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Can you post some photos?

i need help likes this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Sounds like an office/reception room chair with an inventory tag. If so, the beast way to date it (if possible!) is via style, though keep in mind that items meant for business settings usually didn't change much in style for decades - in other words, until an office was moved or completely remodeled.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

6. Scott Thompson

I'm having problems sending the pictures the website says that there to big so could I email them to you?

7. i need help

8. Scott Thompson

Yes and it's not an iPhone. Will it still work if I go there?

9. i need help

Can you email photos to yourself, and get the option to send as large, medium, or small? Is so, choose medium. Then save the resized photos from email to your photo gallery and upload those.
    Or try this
    http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/

Jivvy and James Conrad like this.
  10. Scott Thompson

Ok I figured it out here are some pictures I hope that it helps I just would like to find out the history on it. Thank you

Attached Files:

11. i need help

Great, just hit Edit, More Options, Check Display All Images Full Size, Save Changes, and you’re Golden. :)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  12. Mansons2005

Looks like I may have been way off! I can't quite see it properly, but the label looks like a quality control/excise tax paid/Union Made label of some sort. I do see Dept. of Labour & Industry on the tag. Also, was furniture was made in the prison system in PA?

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Scott. The Commonwealth of PA "label" on the chair does not mean that the state government owned the chair at any time. PA is the most prominent state to have and enforce "inspection and quality" type laws. That's what this label was about.

Mansons2005 likes this.
  14. Mansons2005

Yeah - what Bakers said! As I mentioned, having seen the the type of label, I realize my first possibility was way off the mark. thanks for digging me out Bakers!

15. Scott Thompson

Ok thank you for the information I was wondering if there was a way to find the value and sence it's a part of history where should I go to sale it to where it will be properly respected as such?

i need help likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

show it to a furniture auction house in your area....they'll set you straight as to all the historic significance that this chair holds.

i need help likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just to note. Most of the pieces all have the Pennsylvania forms attached. Not since PA had the most LAX laws in the country so everything was okayed in PA. It is why most ocean liners are okayed by land locked countries. It is a horrible way to regulate commerce by using the state with the lowest common denominator. I was born and raised in PA.
    greg

i need help, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was a bit groggy this morning. What I meant to say was Pennsylvania had the most LAX regulations among the states. That is why you see so many tags saying regulated by the state of PA. It was a shame that it was interpreted that PA had the strictest laws not the least amount of regulation. I was born and raised in PA and always was embarrassed by all of the nonsense.
    greg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    i need help, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nothing special about this chair. Typical 30s-40s dining chair with a standard inspection/quality control label. In my Midwest neck of the woods, something like this, in such condition goes for about $5.00.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  20. Scott Thompson

Ok thank you to you all on helping me shed some light on this chair I have some more pieces in question than I'm going to post I'm at work right now but after I'll post them.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted