Featured A Couple of Tables

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cxgirl, Mar 24, 2019.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

375px-British_Columbia_in_Canada.svg.png

antidiem, cxgirl, i need help and 2 others like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, a canucker! I have no clue why peeps in here are SO SECRETIVE about at the least what CONTINENT they are located.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  3. James Conrad

HOLD ON A SECOND! I happen to have an english period william & mary "tavern table" in Pear. It's similar form to what CX table looked like prior to it being converted to a drop leaf.
    I bought it 4 or 5 years ago from pics, i thought it might be an early american southern table, it turned out to be english. :( but at least it was period, 1st quarter 18th century. :happy:
    It was estate sale of Kristina Barbara Johnson, you know, the lady who hired on as a maid for the band-aide guy and then married him, Johnson & Johnson, who had a pet tortoise named George that once belonged to the court of Queen Victoria.
    Table was listed in auction as "American Tavern Table" it wasn't american, it wasn't a tavern table but, it was PERIOD! lol

antidiem, cxgirl, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

CX has mentioned it several times.

I haven't put my continent on my profile post either, just my province. Just to give everyone a bit of homework.;)
    And because people from North America tend to use all those tiny abbreviations which no one else in this wide world has ever heard of.:rolleyes: I have to google those, let them google my province, and wonder in which of the two countries that have a similarly named province it actually is.:D
    Well, you regulars already know.

kyratango, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  5. James Conrad

Pish-Posh! I say half the people in here are Bots, probably from Russia, posting anonymously to influence the antique world! :hilarious:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Too right! They are trying to get us to agree MCM is antique, that's how it starts.:mask::droid::watching::nailbiting::muted:

kyratango, antidiem, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

Purchased from the estate of Barbara Johnson, the maid who became a billionaire by marrying one of the Johnson & Johnson brothers.
    English, William & Mary, Pear wood
    Pics from the auction
    42524994_1_x.jpg
    The pic that fooled me into thinking it was an early southern table, i thought the single dovetail drawer secondary wood was yellow pine, it wasn't!
    42524994_3_x.jpg

42524994_6_x.jpg
    The table cleaned up with crud removed & appropriate brasses supplied by Optimum in UK
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    top2.jpg

kyratango, antidiem, cxgirl and 7 others like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It is nice...but I kinda liked the crud too !!

10. komokwa

Not all peeps.....so...easy with that big brush ! ;)

& ahhhh...... that's just Canuck..... thank you very much ! :p

kyratango, antidiem, judy and 3 others like this.
  11. James Conrad

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, noooooooooooooo
    Dirt is DIRT and, it is not patina! :singing:

antidiem, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  12. komokwa

Right....but I kinda like the aged look too !

13. James Conrad

Well actually, you can now see the patina & figure of the Pear wood and it still looks it's age. It basically lost the goo (very dark stain probably victorian era applied) that covered it up and I ditched those hideous wood pulls.

14. komokwa

It's lovely....& I'm not saying u don't know yer stuff.......I just thought it looked nice both ways !

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  15. James Conrad

Fact is, no one knew what the wood was prior to removal of GOO! auction description played it safe with "fruitwood" which was correct sorta. First question i asked restorer, what kinda fruitwood is this? Not a clue he replied! Turned out to be Pear but that fact was ONLY REVEALED AFTER he removed the victorian goo. :hilarious:

16. James Conrad

Pear finishes very well, it's a dense hardwood. First time i ever messed with pear but i am impressed, it's a pinky-salmon colored wood and i left it natural. It has some nice figure on the top but you can't see it in these pics, european pear is a very sexy wood!
    The only reason i decided to keep this table because it ain't American? PEAR wood

European Pear

6-13-13-Pear1_995x.jpg

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

AJ is right, I'm on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada:)

18. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Threads get confusing when there are so many different pieces with pictures, but I'll just add to the confusion. The second table OP posted reminded me a lot of this stand with drawer that I picked out of a dumpster and repaired, described in this thread: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/19th-century-table-repaired-not-restored.24373/.

OP table:
    [​IMG]

My stand:
    [​IMG]

I also have a much nicer one with birdseye maple drawers (also mentioned in thread), so I'll try to take a pic of that one if anyone is interested.

19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yes, I'm not doing anything to it, looks fine the way it is to me:)

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I remember that piece you brought back to life, fantastic job:)
    Yes, post your other piece, I would like to see it as I'm sure others would too.

kyratango, antidiem, judy and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted