Featured A FEW SUNDAY-GLASS SPECIALS FOR YOU TO ENJOY

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Alma Rose

Alma Rose Member

Lovely collection! I recently purchased a lady in the bath (heinrich hoffman) which I'm so in love with. So elegant and the frosted glass gives it an ethereal quality. Art Deco really is a wonderful period for glass!

ritzyvintage likes this.
  2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

There sure is! Not all of it, but certain examples of Depression era glass is highly desirable. There are collectors of your 'Milk Glass' for example and other colour variants such as 'Custard Glass' 'Jadeite' and 'Quilted Velvet' etc. Glass salt & pepper pot pattern-types are popular items to those who collect such items, as so too are "Lidded Powder Pots" and Depression glass "Candlesticks" and "Oil or Perfume Lamps." Certain glass producing factories like L. E. Smith, McKee, and Cambridge, all produced some amazing examples of glass during the 1930s, and many examples are exceptionally difficult to come by in Europe.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. ritzyvintage

The Art Deco period produced items to suit all budgets without compromise to quality of design. The development of press moulding techniques allowed mass production at low cost, and the designers of the period had a field day introducing fabulous glassware, from scent & perfume bottles, bowls, vases and figurines in all manner of styles and colour-types.

Alma Rose likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've found a few bits here and there, but nothing major. I don't like shipping fragile items even within the USA, too much breakage. Otherwise... DANG that's tempting. Jadite tends to do OK here too. Here's a Wiki article on the sort that was literally given away here when it was new, and is all but given away again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depression_glass

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor got a piece of depression glass each time she went to the movies with her then sweetie who became her husband way back when. I don't remember the pattern name, they were pink. She showed them to me once.
    She was able to collect many pieces for a full set for entertaining her family.

About 5 years after she and her husband moved in,the shelf that had the plates, dishes etc came off the wall and most were smashed. She was heartbroken as she used these for Passover mostly. Plus all the memories they held.
    :(:(:(

6. ritzyvintage

Thank You for the link, it is interesting to me... I decided to sell-off most of my collection about 10 years ago (some 2000+ items of glass alone) on Ruby Lane. I was always in the top 3 shops and regularly at No. 1. I wouldn't have lasted for one day if I hadn't wrapped & packed my items appropriately and with care. From the 2000+ items I sold, l had just 3 reported damages, and I sold exceptionally delicate & fragile items to clients Worldwide... As long as glass is wrapped with plenty of bubble-wrap and then protected with polystyrene-peanuts and double-boxed, it as every chance of arriving to its destination in one piece... Most problems occur, if compromises are made, such as insufficient protection and an ill-fitting box.

7. ritzyvintage

Oh dear... I can recall losing some beautiful pieces when one of my top shelves gave way and cascaded down upon another two shelves underneath. I was heartbroken at the, as not one piece survived, and I'm talking vases by R Lalique, and 3 of his original car hood mascots. :mad::mad::mad:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I just killed a Wachtersbach Christmas mug. It fell off a hook and cracked on my kitchen stove. No loss - I hate using those things anyway. The handles heat up in the microwave. :yuck: Never lost glass on a shelf, but then I never had glass on a shelf. Too many cats in the family.

Draft saved Draft deleted