Featured A tail of a frog and a snail(shell).

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This thread is now in the top results if you Google for Massier frog snail.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

BE78B9B8-C017-4F2B-9835-74079BBCFF51.jpeg
    More Famous than this guy! :hilarious:

judy, mmarco102, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The original poster's set of 4 is beautiful. The best of all shown, imho. :cat:

Any Jewelry, judy, mmarco102 and 2 others like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think these may have been individual flower vases for a table setting. I think magnolia flowers would look fabulous in those!

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

judy, antidiem, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  7. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

This is the word I search for "entremets", normally there is a cover in wedgwood for example, but some swiss porcelain doesn’t' have one, if it is made for that purpose they do be six or twelve, today I make more search in books about french majolica I have at home, and if it is something with those two animals in european signification more than a very decorative effect.

8. Bronwen

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great idea and link INH:)

judy and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

:) Thank you!

cxgirl likes this.
  11. i need help

I just realized in your original link, it still seems active and there is a descendant of Massier there. They have a contact us.

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  12. Lecollectionneur

The size makes the difference, this frog was certainly made in a very small number due to the difficulty with big pieces and the prices are like Minton majolica in GB, the fact that it's a fountain part is a + in price estimation and results.
    The faked items fron Massier I've seen were really of poor quality, originals are just under Minton in quality.

13. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Good morning, wow...missed alot I see.

That mark, looks like CLEMKNT MASSINS ;)
    Here are the two signatures for him on INH’s link for the majolica society. Additionally, there always is a period between the (A.M.) in all of the family’s marks that use it, but I can not see it on your linked piece. That said, can you list this on that auction site for me, we’ll both do good. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Seem he gets a much better selling price over seas.

@i need help, I agree that these seem to be elusive, but still the ones that are more current are only popping up here and without multiples of any particular one. I have sent your link a message and will follow up with the original link I posted as well. Hope to get a response and will post it here.

I agree with @antidiem, that these are both a better piece and for the most part there seems to be a bit of dirt and twig inside as if a small planter for a table setting(else they are just old and dirty).

4B95F3C2-F278-4D1C-8DFE-0D97C275994A.jpeg 5626F7D4-63E7-4111-9C9F-FBE4AF4516E4.jpeg

14. Lecollectionneur

After a little search, the mark under Alpes Maritimes can be the initials for Lucien Lévy-Dhurmer what explains the price at this auction.
    They are a big number of differents marks for this company, some are hand writen, more in the 20th century and others are prints.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen, judy and 3 others like this.
  15. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Found him interesting: He was born Lucien Lévy to a Jewish family in Algiers, French Algeria. In 1887 Lévy began making his living near Cannes in southern France, overseeing the decoration of ceramics. From 1886 to 1895 he worked as a ceramic decorator and then as artistic director of the studio of CLÉMENT MASSIER. Around 1892 he signed his first pieces of ceramics

16. i need help

B4CD8B3B-4C70-454D-AB95-2F0E116A39EB.jpeg He guest starred in another thread here, @Bronwen might remember.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  17. Bronwen

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to try to remember. Refresh my recall.

judy and i need help like this.
  18. i need help

19. Bronwen

judy, mmarco102 and i need help like this.
  20. i need help

I should have said Clement made a guest appearance. :hilarious:

judy, mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted