Featured A tail of a frog and a snail(shell).

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

It's possibly be made for eating the snail, it will be interesting to know if the capacity is possible for that purpose, they are now ceramic snail shell used in place of the original snail in special preps when the original is too small for all, butter etc…
    Or to contain mixed butter, they are no recent examples of that design, but in cooking they are a lot of recipes which can explain the two together.
    As symbols("european" cultur but on others continents too) it's nothing in common outside they are moon symbols in a lot of culturs.
    [​IMG]
    Not too easy to explain that in english.:bag:

2. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

They are used as match holder with the snail on the frog back too.
    The snail is very often represented in european porcelain as a collector item like frogs, owls etc…

Bronwen, mmarco102 and kyratango like this.
  3. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Possible the frog is just cleaning his home and dragging that old discarded shell off of his lilypad.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He has already eaten the snail (with garlic/escargot butter), and has no need for the shell. We all know about clutter.:rolleyes:

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party (as usual) but I thought you might like to see my frog. Bronze from Korea. 6 1/2" long and about 2 1/4" tall. I don't think I'd eat snails out of it but then again I don't eat snails. I have no idea how I got him (auction box lot most likely) or when but I added him to my herd of frogs.
    Don

IMG_20181015_191657566.jpg IMG_20181015_191719634.jpg IMG_20181015_191650223.jpg

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Your frog is not hauling a snail; that's a nautilus shell.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, dear! Thanks for the correction. Silly frog! :eek:

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I declare this Cephalopod Appreciation Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted