Featured Advice needed angelskin coral jewery + others pieces. Estate sale tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 15, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hope you get some treasures.

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Good luck, Lucille.b, it's so exciting to attend a sale like that!

[​IMG]

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's going to be the mother of all hairballs when it comes up! :joyful::joyful::hilarious:

Aquitaine, Lucille.b, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Waiting patiently to see what you bring back Lucille

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hoping you're able to purchase whatever it is you want!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My favourite as well, and I agree with kyra, it could be gold, with that attention to detail. As Bronwen said, that is angel skin, the earrings could be classed as salmon, the two whitish necklaces are white coral.
    The hair pieces are stunning, but not my thing either.
    Looks like it. The carnelian necklace is Chinese as well.

Lucille.b, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Most everything that she showed falls into my category of : if the price is right, grab and run! The broken necklaces may go cheap if you're lucky. That first one may be selling for $$$ unfortunately. But...if you get some dumb bunnies pricing it, anything can happen.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Ooo, I just found this thread so it's too late for a "good luck" wish. But will look forward to an update!

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mine too, it is all great.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It looks drab now, but I would not write this off without taking a look in person:

upload_2019-1-16_15-13-59.png

11. evelyb30

You never know: I once found enameled sterling in a bag of craft and other junk. Some little kid strung herself a necklace out of whatever was handy, and some of it was sterling "junk". It doesn't look like much, but you can tell.

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The photo is too out of focus,the center stone looks rose cut.The small stones are too small and could be diamond crystals.

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Yep, rosecut diamonds there:peeking::)

14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the kind words. I'm back. Had to eat lunch first, starving!

Sooooo.... :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I promise to draw out every detail.

Got there about an hour early, was 12th in line. Total line at opening was around 50.

For this sale there was a mad rush to the jewelry. Usually the buyers spread out more, but for whatever reason folks had come for the jewelry. Could barely squeeze my way in at the edge. Complete mayhem.

As a side note, I usually know most people at the sales here. Not today. Several Chinese speaking (1st and 2nd in line) and Russian a few behind.

In the door, shot over to the jewelry. Happened to be near the first necklace I posted (the delicate angel skin coral necklace), this being #1 on my list. Someone else had it in their hand I was thinking "Darn!" but she put it back. It was marked $225.

Was thinking "out of my price range for resale". But since I thought so much about this first necklace, asked to see it anyway. Honestly if if felt like gold I might have considered it, but I asked, "Is this gold?" and the estate runner said, "I'm not sure. This was the price the appraiser gave us."

I noticed other items in the case were clearly marked "14K" "18K", so not impossible the appraiser missed listing the metal content, or maybe it wasn't gold. It did seem to have nice quality, but noticed one thing. Possible replaced clasp (as we guessed above) AND it was very short. Thinking 13-14 inches. Maybe missing some of the necklace possibly? Either way, was going to be a negative. Most women don't have necks that small.

So I said out loud, sort of talking to myself, "Hmmm, kind of short."

This is when I interrupt this program for an observation about human nature.

The first woman (Chinese speaker, I think) who had the angel skin coral necklace in her hand and put it back was still there. Might have been wrong, but I almost could feel her emotions... regretting putting it back after I asked to see it. And she quietly repeats my words out loud, "Oh. Kind of short". Sort of like we were in this decision together.

At this point the cost (initial price point in my head was, get it if $100 or less, reality, I might have talked myself into $125 in the moment, but not $225.) Also the short length, replaced clasp, probably not gold. Had me ready to pass.

But something about this fellow shopper repeating my words, "Oh. Kind of short." Really made me see the light. I just put it back.

Wouldn't you know, as soon as I set it down, she picked it up and bought it!

First thing, I am happy with my decision. If you offered it to me right now for $225, I'd turn it down. Too much of an investment for a resale item of this type.

But later I thought. Very tricky! Repeating my negative words so I would put it back, maybe? Got to remember that one. :pompous:

Soooo.....

While all this was happening (literally just 3-5 minutes total) many of the things listed above sold. Nothing cheap, everything had been appraised apparently. The jewelry case was double length and I was just at one end of it. Nothing had hit my price range for resale.

The screw back earrings were marked $80, sold. I think the cameo was $80, but honestly in person it didn't look super high quality. Sold. Someone already had that jadite/pink piece in their hand, might have been $80, in any case, sold. The hair jewelry was priced at $125 for the set. The earrings looked a little worse for the wear in person, so passed, but that hair set sold within the first hour as well.

Meanwhile there was the rest of the house, so squeezed my way out of the jewelry and race to check out other things.

Around the corner, a small pile of newer costume jewelry! Ack! Maybe I should have been there the whole time.

And that is where I found this piece for $6.

aaaa3.jpeg

Was shocked it was still there.

It kind of has both an old and new look to me, but I think it might be older. Marked "Germany" on the clasp. It is quite beautiful in the hand. Glass or some kind of stone, not plastic. No regrets.

I actually got a few non-jewelry items. No huge treasure, but might double my money or better. Spent $24 total. Will take some photos in a bit and post.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Looks like you had fun !!!!:happy::happy:

judy, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  16. Lucille.b

Loved every second. An estate sale is my natural habitat.

Bronwen, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh...kind of short..........that's funny.....but asian women have smaller necks !!!

judy, kyratango, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is obvious! I loved reading your narrative about the sale. :)

You got a great deal on the necklace, I think. Very nice, no matter its age. Appears to be in good condition.

19. evelyb30

Somebody hasn't twigged yet that old vintage costume can be worth money. I won't tell if you don't!

20. Lucille.b

Okay... slide show coming. No priceless coral jewelry, but here's what I got for $24.75.

aaaaa1a.jpg

The necklace sort of has elements that make me think newer but the way it is signed on the little ring reminds me of the way older pieces are signed. Thoughts?

aaaaa1.jpg aaaaa2.jpg aaaaa4a.jpg
    Museum of Metropolitan Art Cat pin ($3)

aaaaa6.jpg

Also shown in top pic, a strange mystery item I had to have. ($3) DH thinks it might have come out of a 1980s laser. Plexiglass, interesting from all angles.

And wondering what this glass thing below is ($2). Could it be some kind of ink press or something? I seems to fit in the hand as if you would press something, and seems older. Sort of a dent in the glass with something black (ink?) Will make a separate post if no one here recognizes.

aaglass2.jpg aglass2.jpg

the base:
    aaaaaaglass.jpg

Last but not least a chrome rabbit ... condiment holder? Obviously missing 3 little cups and forks but was thinking kind of cool with the rabbit and Easter right around the corner. (For some reason looks like there is gold color on the feet, but only silver color.) Marked on the base: WMF rab4.jpg

rab5.jpg
    Ack, ran out of photo space. One last photo next with the WMF stamp. I am seeing other WMF pieces (German?).

SBSVC, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted