Featured Advice needed angelskin coral jewery + others pieces. Estate sale tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was thinking the ones on mine were glass, but really not sure.

aaaaa3.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mine are nice art glass, so I suspect those are as well. My clasp has no marks, and I've believed it to be Czech, and from the length, between the wars. It's entirely feasible your fittings were imported to Germany, of courses.

Lucille.b, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a nice clear shot; when I click it I can see the bubbles in the glass. They had me fooled at first glance too.

Lucille.b, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can think of a couple of reasons shorter length might have made it more appealing to final buyer. If she has a clientele with many Asian women who find Western necklaces are often too long and/or chunky for them, your pointing out the delicacy of this one may have made her reconsider. Very dainty necklaces meant to be worn at the base of the throat with a low cut dress are a Regency - early Victorian look. Buyer may have taken short length as evidence of age.

Like Holly, I'm not persuaded. The color is not as rich as the very pink cord is making it look. The 'fibers' might also be small fissures. I don't know if the beads & the cabochons are all the same type of stone or not, but the cabs photographed as a very odd shade of purple-pink.

Good show! Not likely to have been made after the reunification of Germany, so pre-WWII. I imagine there would have been quite a bit of exchange of jewellery components in the whole Bohemia-Bavaria region, bringing Czech glass & German metal work together.

Absurd price, even if perfect. Missing a clasp, I think?

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese use a lot of rose quartz.

Msalicia, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Sure! I mainly saw it alone, or eventually with nephrite, the association with jadeite and the specific hue lent me towards tourmaline, but this is only my feeling;)

Lucille.b, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

"Oh. Kind of... perfect." I would have been ecstatic with that piece, especially given all you went thru beforehand, @Lucille.b !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Aquitaine, Lucille.b, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucille.b

After walking away somewhat deflated at the high prices of everything on my list, and how quickly things were getting snatched up instantly by buyers with deep pockets, was delighted to see this necklace sitting in a little bag on the modern costume table for $6. I recognized it instantly from the photos. Ecstatic I was. :)

10. Lucille.b

@Bronwen I had not thought this fellow buyer would see the shorter length as a positive possibly. Good point. Could be completely off on my arm chair analysis, lol. (Not the first time.)

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to say that her voice lilted down and the end of the "oh too short" sentence. Kind of like she was commiserating with me.

So if she saw it as a positive, she was sort of playing around -- or maybe also thought it a negative, but decided she had to have it anyway.

She didn't grab it the minute I set it back. A few short moments went by, then she gently lifted it, looked at it briefly again and purchased it. Gentle and professional.

My end? With that clearly replaced clasp, I have to ask myself if the clasp isn't original, is it possible that some of the chain is gone too? Not wearable for most as is. For resale (at that price) all of these things quickly run through my mind. If I was purchasing it for my own use, might have been a completely different outcome. Also with potential Mona Lisa's flying off the shelf in all other rooms at the estate sale, time was not a luxury. Otherwise I might have sat there pondering it.

Of all the photos, it was the one I was most drawn to, but not to be.

(Thanks again, Bronwen and others. Was so helpful to run this potential horde by some friendly jewelry folks.)

I'm off on a new adventure in an hour. Something I've never done. Will be helping someone set up at a antique/collectibles show. Might have potential for some pre-show buying and will learn what goes into setting up for one of these events.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe another thread is coming from that @Lucille.b ? :)

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yep, a lot of sales happen with other dealers prior to shows.
    Have fun.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

On the "too short" thought I have a story, not jools but somewhat similar.

I like to go out and pick wild berries when they are ripe, all different kinds. One day I was by the side of a quiet suburban road picking wild raspberries, a car came by, screeched to a stop, a woman jumped out with a black garbage bag and started grabbing berries haphazardly. I got a bad vibe from her like she was angry I was taking her berries.

After a few minutes I very nicely said "Hi, make sure you stay away from the poison ivy." - it was growing all around the raspberries. Within in minutes she was gone. :smuggrin:

14. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Lucille, thank you so much for posting this thread! How wonderful! The lead up, the day of, the aftermath. What a thrilling adventure! I’d be lying if I said my heart rate didn’t do a happy and excited little jump as I imagined the race towards the jewelry table! Thank you so much for following though on this journey with us!

If you don’t have a blog for these adventures, please consider setting one up! I know that I would follow along your fantastic jeweled exploits! Cheers :)

komokwa, kyratango, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Aww, that is so sweet Vesuvia!

That made my day. :)

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think you got a great necklace for the price. If the angelskin coral necklace was some kind of gold, I may have bought it. What was the price on the chunkier angelskin coral necklace?

komokwa likes this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

What was the price of the last piece in the photo? Yes, more angelskin coral.

Just my opinion, but I think the value of these and other corals will keep increasing due to environmental issues and harvesting restrictions. I think of it as a commodity accruing interest. But.... it could go the way of elephant ivory. What if you would not be able to sell it without being able to date it? Food for thought.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    judy and komokwa like this.
  18. Lucille.b

That broken necklace.. hmmm I *think* it was around $30-40. It was over a year ago but I'm pretty good at remembering prices of things, but I did not buy it. I do recall that it was still unsold an hour or more into the sale. It was one of the only things not snatched up in the minutes. (Side note, this sale has gone down in the history books, locals still refer to it as the one where the jewelry sold "so high".) That said, the broken piece might have been a deal in disguise.

I know what you mean about coral. I sometimes have mixed feelings reselling it, with an antique or vintage piece what's done is done, but hate to think of the coral reefs getting destroyed. Famous last words, just sold an older coral necklace last week that I posted earlier here, but the dwindling supply is food for thought.

Here is a NOAA site asking shoppers to pass on the coral.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/coral-jewelry.html

judy, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Lucille.b I hope you saw your birthday thread in the General Discussion area. Just mentioning because I noticed you hadn't replied to it.

judy, kyratango, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  20. Lucille.b

No, I hadn't seen it! :wideyed:

Heading over there now!:singing:

judy, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted