Featured Age of banded agate brooch and pin length

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I’d love to find a genuine Scottish cairngorm stone but think the real ones got mined out some time ago. A lot said to be Cairngorms look like cut glass to me. 8F7B6D30-40C8-441E-AAE8-D4B41A3D3442.jpeg g

stracci, Lucille.b, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I love agate. A while ago I was into dendritic agate in vintage jewelry, and accumulated a bunch of that. Very cool stuff.

KSW, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  3. Houseful

I found a bit of dendritic recently in what I think is a base metal setting. It is very pretty.

stracci, KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
  5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

My favorite agate is Fire agate. For general information the hardstone cameos, many of which are agate were cut parallel to the band and then ground down to show two or more colors. Germany had an excellent source of banded agate and many of the early agate cameos came from germany. Today, many of the hardstone cameos are made using laser technology. I don't know if this technology has been extended to encompass shell cameos? Perhaps someone in this forum can inform us?

kyratango, stracci and KSW like this.
  6. Houseful

KSW likes this.
  7. Houseful

Bronwen our cameo expert probably could. She’s absent for the moment but there is a large cameo thread in the Jewellery forum.
    I’ve just had a look at Fire agate, not been aware of these before so thanks for alerting me, they are lovely. I see there are different types, I prefer the red ones.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Mine too. The brooch that started this thread was in a charity shop so you never know!.

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Were you looking at the falsely named fire agates? Real fire agates have a brown base with multiple color play, see link........ https://geology.com/gemstones/fire-agate/

stracci likes this.
  10. Houseful

Think your local charity shops seem better for finds than mine KSW, I’ve hardly ever found any gold. My best items come from car boots, table tops and jumbles.

11. Houseful

Yes I was, these were the ones I preferred. I’ve not come across any of these real or false ones before. Are they used much in jewellery?
    1E16F5C7-764E-4F17-B85B-382B7B813C90.jpeg

KSW likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s very variable. Some shops I hardly bother with as they don’t let anything slip through. Sometimes there is nothing for weeks and then several nice bits pop up at once.

Houseful likes this.
  13. Hollyblue

stracci and KSW like this.
  14. Hollyblue

My fire agate ring and I think I still have several pieces of rough someplace.They are hard to photograph like opals and the color isn't great in the photo.

fire1.jpg

kyratango, stracci, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  15. Houseful

This is so unusual I would definitely have picked it up if I had ever come across it here in U.K.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@Houseful - if I can find the image, I've a wee brooch that matches your bracelet.

KSW and Houseful like this.
  17. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Here is my fire agate. I have since made it into a sterling ring.
    Silversmithing is my hobby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@stracci that is fabulous!. Both the stone and the craftsmanship. You are very talented. I'm just getting my head round how to replace the pin on this brooch!.

stracci and kyratango like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Stracci,
    Nice job on the ring. I would wear it in a nanosecond.
    greg

Houseful, stracci and kyratango like this.
  20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This is a gold filled banded agate, pearl and enamel mourning pin/pedant I bought a few years ago.

There is a little damage to the enamel on the left. The photo shows a missing pearl but I took it to a shop where I have repairs done. They went in the back, pulled out a stash of pearls they bought from a retired jeweler and found a perfect match!

GFBndAgateEnmlMrningPin.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted