Featured Ahhh, Help! Vintage Jewelry Overload

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your help! Great posts!

2. Barn Owl

Wow! I never knew what Tallis clips were before, but now I'm thrilled I found some. I actually also have a silver pair that I bought at a flea market in Germany; I just figured they were for glasses or something. Thank you, Komokwa! I'll take a better picture tomorrow.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Copied Marie's picture. Not so sure it is Art Deco.

Where the two arrows point is where a safety chain would have been attached. Usually on better pieces, so this may be sterling.
    Any marks to indicate Mexico? Need a clearer picture of the design.

upload_2017-12-2_23-46-10.png

4. clutteredcloset49

upload_2017-12-2_23-51-49.png

1. Glass flowers could be Czech, Austria or Japan. Is it a pin?
    2. Carnelian watch fob, early 1900s.
    3. Perfume - is it stone, glass or wood? Attached to what appears to be 1950s 60s bracelet. But it could be added to the bracelet at any time and may not be original to the bracelet.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

This looks like a lady's watch chain with the moss agate attached. I would remove the moss agate from the chain. Sell separately, they are not original to each other.

The cameo probably slides up and down the chains. Probably dates to early 1900s.
    Check the cameo and the piece attached to the moss agate for marks. Probably 1/20 10KGF, but always the possibility it is 10K.
    upload_2017-12-3_0-12-41.png

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  6. Barn Owl

I'm awake, so I'll take a photo of the Art Deco bracelet
    1. It's a pin. Let me get it and see if I can find a mark.
    3. Wood. I was wondering what it was, since there wasn't an opening or anything, just that dial that can be unscrewed on top.

The pearls felt roughish when rubbed against my tooth, but maybe that was just me being hopeful? I've never tested pearls before except for fake ones, and that caused the fake luster to flake off. These didn't flake.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Barn Owl

8. Barn Owl

The flowers pin is marked Coro.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

I am assuming you are buying all or most of this for resale. If you go back to the thrift, be sure to look things over carefully. I see things that have damage. Some can be fixed with no problem, others maybe not be so easy to repair and will make it difficult to sell.

Like the blue Czech art deco glass bracelet. The glass is chipped pretty badly. As it is 100 pieces for $200 you paid $2.00 a piece. You could put this bracelet out for $10. as is and still make money on it. If it weren't damaged, more like $100 plus.

If you have been dealing in jewelry you probably have a repair box with parts to fix things. If not you can get new rhinestones to put in this and sell as a repaired piece.
    This looks like an interesting piece. But it is missing stones.

upload_2017-12-3_0-32-19.png

I guess the point I am trying to make, is buy things that aren't damaged, unless you have the ability to fix them or are going to re-purpose them some how. Or unless they are gold or silver that have melt value.

I know it is hard to pass things up that you know are old, and were once beautiful. Sometimes I buy broken things just because I like them and end up keeping them. But is difficult to sell damaged items.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Barn Owl

The filigree brooch is marked Austria, while the tallis clips are marked Pat 2853761. The scarab brooch has a weird piece of velvet in the center.
    20171203_014104.jpg 20171203_014058.jpg 20171203_014022.jpg 20171203_014001.jpg 20171203_013620.jpg 20171203_013604.jpg

11. clutteredcloset49

We must have been posting at the same time.
    The new pictures on the white background are better.

The blue Art Deco isn't as bad as I thought. My $10 above was too low an estimate.

The other bracelet, is the white MOP or lucite.
    I'm not sure what that is. I don't see any marks.

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Barn Owl

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't notice the damage on the Czech bracelet until now. I liked it, and didn't look carefully at the back, just added it to the bag. None of the jewelry was marked with prices, so once I had picked out a bagful, he just gave me a flat rate for everything.

I was hoping to repair some of the damaged pieces or use their parts to repair/make other pieces. I just want to sell some things and recoup my losses, and keep the rest. I like damaged things, so I'll probably keep a lot of the pieces missing stones and such. I also want to start learning how to repair and remake jewelry.

Christmasjoy, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Barn Owl

That's a relief. :) With the damages, how much would you estimate?

I can't tell which. I don't think it's MOP though; there is a slight silvery tint to it, not really a pearlescent one.

14. Barn Owl

Oh wow, now that I'm taking a closer look at all this stuff, I'm beginning to notice the damages. Why didn't I see it this morning?
    (Probably because I had 3 hours sleep...)

15. clutteredcloset49

upload_2017-12-3_0-55-51.png

1. Is this what you are calling filigree? It isn't really filigree. Not sure what I would call it other than a flower pin. Austria, I can see that. 1950s-60s The crystals are nice quality. Is it damaged? Is there a petal missing from each flower?

2. Art Deco not silver. Costume. Nice
    3. Victorian
    4. Lily of the valley on what looks like quartz. The back is strange like it was meant to hang off something else.
    5. Scarab? Does the thing on the back hold the velvet? Does it smell like perfume?

16. clutteredcloset49

It needs to be polished, a jump ring added for the clasp to hook into.
    Now that you have posted better pictures, I'm wondering if it is some type of stone rather than glass. Might make a difference to value.
    upload_2017-12-3_1-8-45.png

17. clutteredcloset49

I think others should weigh in with opinions.

I'm good at generalizing time periods and basic materials. But when it gets down to the nitty gritty of what kind of stones, rhinestones, signed costume jewelry, etc.; there are other people on the board who know more about those things than I do

18. clutteredcloset49

Is this what you are calling a Tallis clip. I have never heard that term and don't know what it is.

To me this is a 1950s sweater guard.
    Wait for other opinions, as I could be wrong.
    upload_2017-12-3_1-15-30.png

19. clutteredcloset49

Don't worry about it. You did ok.
    You will get your money back and some. Still be able to keep the ones you want, and have things left for parts and re-purposing.

I do that all the time. Go out to someone's house, pay 2-300 for glass/jewelry or whatever they are selling. Kick myself all the way home knowing I paid more than the gal down the street would have paid. Thinking how stupid I was for being so soft and paying too much. Then over time end up selling things for 800-1000, then feel bad because I think I didn't pay them enough.

Anyway, it's late here and I off.

20. Barn Owl

That's what Komokwa said it was. I've never heard of a sweater guard. I'm not sure what it is... I just know that I have a similar silver-plated one.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted