Featured Ahhh, Help! Vintage Jewelry Overload

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your help and advice!

That's a relief... The weirdest thing is that if I had bought all this over the course of a year for the same price or more, I probably wouldn't feel guilty about it. I always suffer from major buyers regret, haha.

Good night!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

If it's not terribly far away, it could be worth taking a second look depending on what you mean by the backing being slightly degraded (saphirets don't usually have a metallic coating on the back of the stone, although I suppose it's possible that some might). I'd recommend first looking at saphiret crosses on Google images to become familiar with the variations in the stones and settings (I found only 3 saphiret crosses that sold on ebay recently). There's also an art glass stone called dragon's breath that can look similar to saphiret, but usually more colorful, so you might want to check out examples of dragon's breath jewelry also. Let us know the outcome if you decide to go back to the antique shop.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You just need to lightly and briefly slide one of the pearls across the biting edge of your teeth (I do it on my lower 2 front teeth). If you have some faux pearls, try it on them first, then on the necklace in question. If the necklace is cultured pearls you'll notice a difference in the feel and sound on your teeth -- a very subtle gritty feel and a sharper sound compared to a smooth feel and duller sound on the faux pearl.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with (edit) Joan on the saphiret cross -- educate yourself on what it should look like, and after looking at photos (maybe on Ebay, etc.) if you think Saphiret, definitely go back and see if it is still there. The older saphirets will look almost clear in certain light, then blue switching to brown and back as you tilt in better light.

And nice job with the extensive help and ID's, Cluttered. :) This was too many pieces for me to take in --but sure enjoyed looking at the photos.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think using the post # next to the "Like" button might be a good way for others to comment on some of the items pictured.

@Barn Owl
    Your pictures on the white background are easier to look at.

If you do go back and buy more. Put likes together on the white background, maybe put #s next to them to make it easier to respond to.
    You can write numbers on separate squares and move them around as needed to fit your display.
    I would either group according to style, such as Art Deco, gold, silver, or by item such as pins, bracelets, necklaces etc.
    Makes it a little easier to comment on.

6. clutteredcloset49

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, when there are too many pictures, too many items, or long texts, I'm lost.:confused::confused::confused: Brain damage and ADD, perfect combination for not knowing what the ... is going on in a thread.:wacky: Maybe a bit of Stendhal too....:nurse:
    So cluttered, thank you for organizing and answering. I wouldn't have known where to start. Still don't.:wideyed:

8. Barn Owl

Thank you, Cluttered. I'll do that from now on with larger lots. I can add numbers after uploading them.

Would I be able to get your opinion on a few more pieces in the collection? I found an unfamiliar hallmark on the marquisites pin and a pair of earrings.

9. clutteredcloset49

Sure, I'll look.

I also want to add something to the above suggestion
    Limit your question to 10 items and start new threads for each grouping. You'll get more responses from others. No one here will get upset with you for posting different threads. Maybe number your threads as well. "Pins - question 1" "Pins - question 2"
    Too many items overwhelm people.
    There are many more items that you showed that I didn't comment on

Christmasjoy, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  10. Barn Owl

I'll do that. Would it be all right to make new threads with the items in this collection, if I organize them that way?

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

@Any Jewelry
    Thank you for your nice comment.
    I was afraid I was answering too much.

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

I don't think anyone would mind. And you might get more info than I was able to give. I know a lot, yet I know absolutely nothing - so asking for other comments might be beneficial to you.
    As I said, I didn't comment on everything.

Christmasjoy, judy and Barn Owl like this.
  13. Barn Owl

The marquisites pin has an arrow hallmark on it. It looks like the arrow is piercing an oval or shield shape. There is a weird glue residue in the gaps on the brooch, and also on some of the outside corners. I don't think there were other stones there.

The earrings' backings were marked 12k GF 925. The earrings themselves are marked 925, but since they're gold-toned, I assume they're 12k GF, too? I didn't notice this before, but there are three small hazy white stones on the earrings, in the silver portions. The backs of the earrings are open to show the backs of these small stones. There is also a strange mark on the earrings that I can't identify; it almost looks like 100.
    thumbnail (60).jpg
    thumbnail (57).jpg thumbnail (58).jpg thumbnail (56).jpg thumbnail (55).jpg thumbnail (59).jpg

14. Barn Owl

Not at all! Your comments are so incredibly useful, because I am just beginning and I know next to nothing! :)

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

Good pictures, and the numbering will work fine.

I do not recognize the arrow through the "square" or "O". Looks like an older back. pot metal with coating. 1960ish.

As for the earrings. Newer. They may be gold plated sterling. Cubic Z?
    This is where the others knowledge comes in.

Didn't realize how late it was here.
    I have to get moving.
    I'll be back tonight.
    Hopefully others will help out in the mean time.

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Not at all, you took over when the rest of us couldn't handle it, and you did it brilliantly. From what I could see in the overload, that is.:playful:
    You're always good at organizing other people's photos, numbering, etc. We rely on cluttered to unclutter info-clutter.:hilarious:

17. Any Jewelry

They probably are. Gold filled sterling silver. Don't know if cluttered already said, but the two bigger stones in each one are aquamarines. The earrings were made roughly between 1990 and now.
    Those are probably tiny zircons, the natural kind, not CZ. CZ would be marked because it is a registered trademark, and is usually used for slightly bigger stones. Natural zircons are found in great numbers in many places in the world, and ironically, they are often cheaper than CZ.
    The backs of the mounts are open to let the light pass through, and hopefully cause a little twinkle.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you're doing fine......

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Barn Owl

I took the Art Deco bracelet to an antique store. He couldn't find any marks on it. The metal was non-magnetic, but wouldn't streak on his stone. He din't know what it might be. Is it possible that it's rhodium?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

Which one are you calling Art Deco?
    upload_2017-12-4_23-54-31.png

Rhodium is usually used as a plating material over another metal. I'm not sure how long companies have been using it. However, I don't think the 1930s.

The top one when you look closer at the design stamped into the metal, doesn't look Art Deco. The shape yes, but the design says no.
    upload_2017-12-4_23-58-20.png

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted