Featured Ahhh, Help! Vintage Jewelry Overload

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 1, 2017.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, I just clicked on the "view attachment" in the link. Didn't realize you could do that.

Take it to a jeweler. It might be sapphires. I don't want to get your hopes up, as it might be something else, however, these were made in platinum.

Just went back to take another look at it.
    What is this. Looks like there is a sapphire under the wires. Funny repair if that is what it is.
    upload_2017-12-5_0-9-5.png

Barn Owl and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Rhodium plating on silverware started in the 1930s, on jewellery much later. Rhodium plating on an Art Deco bracelet would have worn off long before now.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm very late to this party, but that's definitely a sweater guard. Tallis clips invariably have Jewish-themed decoration on them. I've had several sets over the years. Some are costume, and some older ones are done in sterling. You could use a sweater guard as a tallis clip easily enough and it would probably be fine to do so.

It's a 1920s filigree bracelet. That wire bit...no clue. I have an almost identical one that belonged to my grandmother, but without the wires. Hers is costume. They did come in precious metals too, so I'd definitely check it over just in case.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, that made the penny drop.:happy: I know it as a tallit, never made the connection, so I though the clip had something to do with Thomas Tallis.:confused: Next thing was an image of a video clip with 16th century music....:hilarious:
    You can rely on me to stray miles away from the subject. I'll get you there.:D

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I meant #2. He gently scraped the back of the filigree on a testing stone, but the metal wouldn't leave a mark. The metal was non-magnetic. The wire is there to hold the panels together, I think, since the hinge on one looks a little messed up.

What would you call #1? How old do you think it is?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Barn Owl

The wire was just a home repair, it looks like. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-12-5_13-21-57.jpeg

"I'm very late to this party, but that's definitely a sweater guard. Tallis clips invariably have Jewish-themed decoration on them."

You're right, they do......but without seeing the face of the clips to know if there is anything inscribed on them.....I took a guess !

With all the girl jewelry..though....sweater clips now sound more accurate...

Christmasjoy and Barn Owl like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I could see the fronts in another shot - total classic 50s/60s costume.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-12-5_15-55-13.png
    i missed that one.....and still hard to see...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Barn Owl

What was your grandmother's Art Deco bracelet made out of? :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WOW !! What an incredible amount of information in this thread .. Thank you to all who participated .. VERY interesting .. Joy. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted