Featured Amber Glass Pitcher - Real or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 10, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Excellent idea. I have 5 pieces of ABP, but only one small piece of EAPG. The Northwood EAPG piece has a satin surface, so it is no help for comparison. Because of COVID, most antique stores\malls around here have closed, but I'm sure I can track one down. I didn't think of this thank you.

2. KikoBlueEyes

Pearls. Take a deep breath. Just start with one piece. Get a black cloth to put behind and underneath it. Ask someone who has a smart phone with a camera to take some pictures. It will only take them a few minutes, so you won't be imposing. I would like to see your grandmother's pieces. Kiko

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks Kiko, when I have some time I will try. I need to get a black cloth as I don't have one. But first they will need a good dusting.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Pearls. Good deal. I just used an old sweater. I’m sure your pieces are lovely and this wil give you an opportunity to take them out and have them sparkle again. Kiko

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is a great idea about the sweater. I will take a look see if one is hiding in my closet. Thanks for your input.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

curious if you got any response from EAPGS facebook group? Clear images showing the details of the buttons with diamond grids and stars might help discern cut from pressed; many EAPG patterns retain sharp edges, especially on earlier presses. I hesitate to suggest without finding any confirming pieces and was hopeful for you to dear from EAPGS. The closest I'm finding (altho' not a great image) is Belmont No. 110; the overlapping grids and other motifs look close but the only image I can find is from inside the glass and missing the necessary details to really confirm, and unfortunately I can't run down any other examples of this pattern. Could also be a similar Belmont 'companion' pattern...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

What a sensational find! Thanks for tracking this down. I will get clearer photos later on today. Right now I have some friends here helping me remove doors for a restoration project on my house. I was waiting to hear from one last person on Facebook, but the results were fairly disappointing as to the pattern or maker. They were very nice and helpful but you will see by the comments that I got so far and posted below, they couldn't identify the pattern. If you don't mind, I will post your find for them to comment on.
    Thank you again.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Comments from the EAPG Facebook group on the amber pitcher to date (I removed my replies as they reveal my name):
    • Rochelle E. Robbins
      The bottom looks Imperial in origin.
    • Brad Gougeon
      Admin
      [​IMG]
      The color, shape and "pattern" all look EAPG era but my eyes have gone wonky trying to find a match in the Database. I searched "diamonds", "cane" and "hobstars" individually and did not see anything that matched.
    • [​IMG]
      I wonder if it's European.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Here are some close ups. If you want any other views, please tell me.
    IMG_0184.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0197.JPG

10. KikoBlueEyes

I forgot the bottom

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

11. KikoBlueEyes

Looks like you may have found it! Here is the reply from the EAPG society on Facebook. Sid Lethbridge wrote a book about the Belmont Glass Works(1866-1890).

"Sid has the final answer but the illustrations in the book sure look like the same pattern. However only 4 items (2 comports, two bowls) are shown from the catalog and nothing is noted in color."

12. TallCakes

thanks for the close-ups; definitely looks pressed to me.

congrats, looks like you have a rare piece of EAPG... maybe you can get EAPGS to include your pitcher as an example on their site...

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for confirming it's pressed. I have felt it up :) so many times during these discussions, that I now have a better understanding of what pressed feels like. Hopefully, Sid the expert on Belmont Glass will confirm. If so, I'll add it to my special collection. I very much appreciate your patience and support. It was you who tracked it down, and I am very grateful.

14. KikoBlueEyes

Well, it turns out that Sid Lethridge says "This pitcher has similarities to Belmont No. 110 but the catalogue images don't show the hobstar element present on the buttons for this pitcher and the tumbler. The only items in the catalogue are berry bowls, a jelly comport and a high standard comport. There may be other items but we don't have images of them."

173705866_4102640149793285_6966245520927198903_n.jpg
    BUT the pitcher has been confirmed as EAPGS Pattern Index - ZZ UNIDENTIFIED No. 553 [tumbler, button]

66525.jpg

TallCakes and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. TallCakes

definitely a match for that unknown tumbler; possibly still a Belmont unknown considering all the similarities...

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

I asked that. I’ll tell you if I hear anything

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. TallCakes

I noticed that in looking at the motifs assigned to the unknown vs 110 that their are inconsistencies, which makes it more difficult to find matches based on motifs. The unknown doesn't include the squares and rectangles that are evident in the pattern.

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

So you are saying that the pitcher and tumbler are not really like the Belmont 110 after all? I am confused.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. TallCakes

no, just noting the database at EAPGS has inconsistencies probably linked to the pieces being added by different people seeing different motifs.

for 110: • Motifs: (Ribs/Columns), (Buttons), (Squares/Rectangles)

for 553: • Motifs: (Diamonds), (Buttons)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Unfortunate, this is one of the "sorry, no easy answers". Based upon that it is EAPG, I'm going to date it to 1884-6, the color period in the EAPG era. Yes, it might be 1900 and later, but I don't think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted