Featured Amber Glass Pitcher - Real or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 10, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I got it. Thank you.

2. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. I am thrilled to have this piece, and thank you, @TallCakes and @Ownedbybear for all your time and effort in seeking its place in time and history. :)

3. KikoBlueEyes

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

that's thoughtful of them... I see they also added 'hobstars' to the motifs list; tho' to me the tiny stars on buttons is a loose interpretation of hobstar. They should add motif description of 'squares and rectangles' as that is the most recognizable motif...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I’ll see what I can do.

6. KikoBlueEyes

Here is their response to my sharing of your suggestion about adding to motif description:

"the thought is an excellent one, please thank your forum member. Unfortunately we are limited in the number of motifs we can assign, to three. Everyone "sees" Motifs differently, it's a chronic problem! So we do the best we can and also evaluate them periodically. These Motifs will come up every time someone is trying to ID something, or finds a new bit of information."

7. KikoBlueEyes

More comments from Facebook EAPG Society:
    "Great detail pictures. The pressing was amazing! Must’ve been a nice new mold, or at least recently cleaned
    • Liz Roach
      I think that understanding the presence of those little hobstars may eventually lead us to the maker. Fingers crossed

8. KikoBlueEyes

@TallCakes What do you think of this comment from a member of EAPG Society Facebook?

"What an interesting pattern! I was thinking that the pitcher might be part of McKee’s Comet line from 1886. As this pattern shares the same exact design elements minus the diagonal band"

174251284_10158185598703511_8313181510812932151_n.jpg

9. TallCakes

I do see the general similarities of the patterns (sans the diagonals/swirls). However, look closely at those little star octagonal buttons on your piece compared with Comet, which has another diamond grid pattern (looks like a tic-tac-toe grid) on the octagonal button.

perhaps the star buttons on you piece are a bit more like the star buttons on Westmoreland's 909 Lacy Daisy...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. TallCakes

11. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. Love this follow-up. I am so jazzed about having more information about this piece which is prominently displayed in my house. Thank you.

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

13. KikoBlueEyes

One day, I'm going to run across a rare cake stand and send it to him as a present.

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I don't remember if I followed this thread or not & didn't realize it was an old thread until I had read quite a few posts. :rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::bag::bag::bag: :hilarious:

I was absolutely shocked when I saw you had stumped @TallCakes!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I didn't think it was possible but then he redeemed his EAPG guru status by remembering this thread over 2 1/2 years later. :eek::eek::eek:

Most of the time I can't remember what I read on the forum the next day. :p:p:hilarious::hilarious:

15. TallCakes

thank you all for your kindness. always willing to learn and share in the process; and the only request is a 'Like' if you happen to also learn in the process :)

lvetterli, Aquitaine, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Tall Cakes is truly wonderful, I agree.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe even a ...best answer !!!! eh? huh ?? Heehe..!

18. KikoBlueEyes

Like.

lvetterli and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted