Featured Another one I need help with the signature it's odd

Discussion in 'Art' started by jakes vintage, Jan 26, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

So I've swear I've tried all possibilities so I'm reaching out to you guys in hopes a fresh set of eyes might help, what do you think it says?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jakes vintage

Looks like I already posted this back in 2016 sorry about the repost it had plenty of suggestions but we never figured it out maybe someone will see it this time around..

Christmasjoy, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Peiña, Maybe T Peiña

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. jakes vintage

I'm beginnng to think the first character is a symbol instead of a letter like the 3 crosses made as one? Either that or the artist that did this wanted to pull some kind of joke on people wanting to know who did it.. lol

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Bronwen

I see it as the T written over the P.

Edit: The P has been made so that the line of the loop part extends, top & bottom, to the left, past the upright. With the T over it, gives the appearance of 3 parallel lines. Makes it look rather like the papal cross:

[​IMG]

Another edit: Artist does not use curved lines in signature & seems to make small upright strokes very faintly, so that the P & a do not look closed. Just to the left of what looks like a backward E at the end you can see the little dab of paint that would have converted it to a. The signature is done very much as if artist was etching it rather than painting it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  7. Bronwen

It immediately struck me as Peiña because one of my favorite Zuni carvers is Claudia Peiña, so know of at least one artistic Peiña from the Southwest desert. Have seen many Zuni signatures that have been individualized by forming the letters in a distinctive way or by overlapping them.

Asian Fever and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Bronwen

To beat it to death. The late Pernell Laate was one of the best contemporary Zuni carvers. He played around with his signature a lot. E.g.

[​IMG]

Asian Fever and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. jakes vintage

I fooled around with some photo effects I zoomed in on it and sharpened it up some to see the overlapping of the paint do you guys think it could be a "ri" instead of a "n"? The .3 on the end or backwards e is confusing too. Otherwise it' just a non known artist by the name above T.Peine, it just confuses me that this is as good as it is, at least what I think and there's nothing on either of the names.. seems like this person would have other paintings out there too if not known about but someone looking the same as I...
    [​IMG]

10. jakes vintage

Maybe I'll get lucky and it' the one and only painting that Peiña has ever done..lol!

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Are you proposing that the name could be T/Perie? No harm in searching. But Peiña is at least a fairly common name in that part of the world. :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. jakes vintage

Oh it is, just trying all options just in case, but you'e most likely right..

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I know her as Claudia Peina, the same surname as her famous brother Colvin Peina. But what's in a name.
    An artistic family, so Peina could be a possibility for the name of the painter.

Here is one of Claudia Peina's, is this the Claudia you mean?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.penfieldgallery.com/artistsfetishes/claudia-peina-zuni-fetish-maiden2-1.html

She was also known for her Warrior Maidens. More by Claudia Peina on these pages:
    http://bestofzuni.com/featured-artists/zunicarvers/claudia-peina-2/
    http://www.sedonawolf.com/families/peina/claudia/

Colvin Peina:
    http://www.sedonawolf.com/families/peina/colvinp/

Jake, this could be a Zuni artist. If you are not too far from the Pueblo of Zuni it may be worth enquiring there.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  14. jakes vintage

I'm about 45mins from the closest Zuni reservation but i will say this has got to say Peina. It' the only option plus given the subject matter it's of the terrain in this area. Just wish there was other T. Peina out there to compare it to and get an age, value ect..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I didn't read everything, maybe it was mentioned. If you put the forward and backward "E" back to back you get the symbol.

upload_2018-1-27_9-2-42.png

Nothing indicates the letter "P" Ein? Eine? E. Ine?

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

17. Bronwen

That's her. She does lovely work.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Bronwen

I see this as a P:

upload_2018-1-27_15-39-9.png

And this as an a:

upload_2018-1-27_15-42-51.png

because I think those little diagonal strokes are the lines that close the loops on the letters, not paint dribbles. If you made them vertical & moved them so that they touched the tips of adjacent horizontal lines, the letters would pop out. The a is the general shape of the ones in this typeface, not the ones most of us make when writing by hand.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  19. ios1954

ios1954 New Member

Hi, I'm not a member here but just purchased 2 small paintings at a thrift store in Montana. The signatures appear identical to yours. Southwest subject matter and on the back is written "Juarez, Mexico ". I guess there is no way to post a photo here? Ok I'm a member now but can't seem to upload photos, they're too big

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted