Featured Antique Chinese Nephrite Jade Figurines OLD or MODERN??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Eidam, Apr 10, 2019.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how do you know that..?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

A friend of mine possessing some of this in his collection.

3. komokwa

which ones?
    R they new or old ?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

old one mate.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Some warning signs of fakes. These are ones from my own fakes collection, pretty pieces, all hand made, very cheap and all tested positive for jade.

Scratch lines on the inside of the curve. The design scratch lines are light and powdery looking.
    upload_2019-4-12_14-17-34.jpeg

A Hongshan repro pig-dragon. You have a few in your collection. Hongshan pig-dragons are never decorated.
    This one is not symmetrical, which is good and it is perfectly charming, but....
    upload_2019-4-12_14-23-31.jpeg
    Although the tapering shape and irregularity of the drill holes is right, the lines on the inside are a warning sign
    upload_2019-4-12_14-24-32.jpeg

Lines around the eyes, we all get them, but Hongshan pig-dragon don't. They are nice and smooth on every part of the surface. These are scratch lines.
    upload_2019-4-12_14-27-45.jpeg

One of your pig-dragons, nicely decorated along the curve of its body, which it shouldn't be. So, sorry, not real, in spite of the funnel-shaped drill hole.
    upload_2019-4-12_14-31-12.jpeg

Back to my fakes.:D Artificial acid pitting to suggest age erosion on Hongshan style bird. Hongshan jades are smooth as a baby's bottom, they don't have pitting
    upload_2019-4-12_14-37-38.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  6. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    2manybooks, trip98, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  7. Scott Eidam

Scott Eidam Well-Known Member

Ill have to double check the one thats calcified. It didnt seem flakey and is very smooth.

8. Any Jewelry

I should have explained it better, I didn't mean that flakes would come off, but that it looks like it is a superficial layer, just on the surface. In the example I showed in the other thread part of the stone has calcified in deeper layers. Maybe a closeup photo of the bird would help?

trip98, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. Scott Eidam

The close ups are of the opening where the cystal like substance meets the stone 20190414_090411_compress_65.jpg 20190414_090319_compress_37.jpg 20190414_090310_compress_6.jpg 20190414_090259_compress_68.jpg

10. Scott Eidam

This piece feels very light weight, possibly wood? 20190414_092431_compress_82.jpg 20190414_092519_compress_22.jpg 20190414_092539_compress_50.jpg 20190414_092553_compress_77.jpg 20190414_093501_compress_92.jpg 20190414_093523_compress_58.jpg 20190414_093528_compress_77.jpg

11. Scott Eidam

12. Any Jewelry

It is a netsuke. Netsuke are Japanese, but they are also made in China for the Japanese market.
    Sadly it looks like blackened resin. There are small 'dents' in the material where the air bubbles have popped, and the black layer is worn off in places, showing the plasticky material underneath. It is very cute, but not real imo.

The semi circular Liangzhu style piece is another repro. You can see the lines in the drill hole I warned about in the examples from my own repro collection.
    Scott, I am so glad you didn't pay much for this collection. The gentleman who sold it to you clearly didn't know anything about archaic jades.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    komokwa, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. Scott Eidam

In all respect to the guy that sold them to me, the pieces that he did keep, he had taken to christies. He also told me about the ones i bought, some were repos and that "some" may be real. But i figured it was worth the gamble. I knew nothing about these before and now i know alot. And found a cool spot to show off my treasure

KSW, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  14. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

You wanted help regarding your 'treasures' and you got it .. from one of the very best. Now you can't stomach the replies and want to argue the point. Also, you never mentioned Christies at the beginning of your post but only when you saw answers from here that you didn't want to hear ... believe what you want !!! Well done AJ, Very informative, Joy. :)

BoudiccaJones, komokwa, KSW and 2 others like this.
  15. Scott Eidam

Slightly rude, but ok lol. I didnt think i was arguing? I got all the info i needed to help me spot a fake...which clearly they are. I learned alot. And about the christies paperwork....i saw what i saw, plain and simple...call me a liar or whatever, i have no reason to lie. I got a lot of amazing things from that guy. No complaints from me. So i will enjoy my "treasures" and continue to display some of them on this forum, fake or not

16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Good for you !! .. Go for it !!! .. Joy.

17. UpstateWendigo

UpstateWendigo New Member

Could we see a piece or two of yours that you feel is genuine? Would love to see the real deal! Many thanks for your very informative posts.

KSW likes this.
  18. komokwa

u gonna post this on every old tread?

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Do you mean a netsuke or a Liangzhu jade?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted