Featured Antique desk? Help please! England

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marricked, May 2, 2020.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Did your dad save the pieces?
    upload_2020-5-2_8-29-2.png

2. Marricked

Marricked Member

Not that I'm aware of - that's the condition I have always known it to be in. The only "loose" bits is the key.

Thanks again for the extra responses, gave me some other things to read up on!

3. clutteredcloset49

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's certainly English, the inlay is typical.

5. clutteredcloset49

6. Marricked

Marricked Member

I'm not sure if this will help. I have been sending my dad the replies from this forum and he has just told me that the last time he was looking at it he had found a signature on the back of all the drawers.

It looks like a V. Is this normal?

Screenshot_20200502-170330_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200502-170330_WhatsApp.jpg IMG-20200502-WA0016.jpg

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

Not a signature of the maker.
    Looks more like a two.

I took out the part about it being the second drawer, as it looks like it is the little drawer from inside.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  8. Marricked

Marricked Member

The same mark is on the rear of all the drawers, unfortunately I haven't got photos of the other ones.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. Marricked

Marricked Member

Also it turns out my brother has a much better photograph of the full desk in all its beauty! IMG-20200502-WA0017.jpg

10. clutteredcloset49

Pencil marks are there for the construction.
    A makers mark if there is one, will usually be stamped on later pieces.

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

From the desk surface down it's more of a davenport. From the desk surface up it's more of a small U.S. Eastlake era woman's desk. I've seen that portion called a plantation desk, but that's usually reserved for something with high legs and a bookcase on top. I would call this a davenport or modified davenport.

Looks like most of us agree on age and value. Good consistency on that. Still thinking late 19th century - maybe 1890s instead of 1880s - worth somewhere around $1K U.S.

I respect @clutteredcloset49 's great knowledge. So I ask, in all innocence, why Italy as a place or origin?

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It certainly has some Davenport elements , particularly with the block front and "partners" drawers. It also looks small-ish to me, particularly when compared to say a full partners' desk or a Wooten. Can we agree on a marriage of elements? Here for example is a "davenport whatnot", as described by Antiques World,based in the UK. davenport what not.jpg

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Quick and not wonderful photos, taken with my iPad. This is my lateish 19th C seat. (I really need to get it properly redome. ) Have a look at the inlay:

IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0502.JPG

16. Marricked

Marricked Member

Thanks for all your views so far - never expected such a response!

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This is the best forum ever!. We have a brilliant community who are very knowledgeable and generous with it :)

18. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I dunno about this desk but, here in the USA desks of any era have taken a MASSIVE hit in prices.
    Not sure why that is exactly but suspect their loss of original function & failure to find a new function niche in the modern world.
    Add in they take up a lot of space, are heavy and BOOM, 18th-century slant top desks that were going for 5k and up 25 years ago are selling for a song at auction today.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OTOH if you can plop a laptop or tablet on it, you're in business. If I found the OP's desk going begging and had a spot for it, it would be on a truck headed for my place without a doubt.

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It's got real potential as a cameo cabinet.

Draft saved Draft deleted