Featured Antique doll identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bradley gibbins, Jul 13, 2018.

1. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Ya had to mention "basket cases"!!

These are my beloved Scandinavian dolls......in my Scandinavian basket. They ARE my basket cases!;)

Poor picture....lighting horrible, but I didn't want to lug it all outdoors.

scandidolls.jpg

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sees it fine, nice basket! dolls DOLLS DOLLS!

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Like Joy, I have lots stored........

4. James Conrad

Well, all i can say is, you girls are INTO your DOLLS!

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Ya.....for me tho, it's really past tense now.

I'll always keep my Scandinavian dolls.....the rest I could sell in a minute......if anyone wanted them!!

6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Be careful what you say...... I want them!!! :):D

7. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

I ran across a small doll online somewhat similar to the one in question. The marking on the back of the neck of this one is a capital "H in a circle". I can't remember what manufacturer that might refer to. (My Mother collected old dolls until she had 3k+[​IMG] altogether!)

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

To my eye, they look like the same model, although the one you found still has eyelashes:

upload_2018-7-14_17-39-8.png
    upload_2018-7-14_17-39-25.png

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Oh my! That's a lotta dolls!

Is the doll pictured above yours?

If so, can you post a picture of the mark?

The one pictured above is similar to the OP's, but appears to be a finer doll. I'd guess German.

kyratango, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Yes, I know what you mean....be careful what you wish for!

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Notice the red dots on the nostrils, and in the corner of the eyes. The body seems to be compo.

The fingers are defined also.

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Will catch up with this thread tomorrow!

My eyes (dry eye) are beginning to feel like a bunch of sand was thrown into them.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, in other words, you weren't supposed to grow up????????

kyratango, judy, James Conrad and 2 others like this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great thread! I've mentioned before that my mother has collected dolls for years. She has a lot of different types, and a lot of doll reference books. I've picked up a lot of info over the years. But I almost never need to use it here!

judy, James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes, that doll is finer than the original posters doll, well painted, but I believe the posters was a copy of the finer one, I could see that the posters doll was poorly painted, particularly the mouth, still cute though ... Joy.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  16. Christmasjoy

I want that tiny bisque girl in the front corner !!, but really Judy .. you could get some decent money by listing your overload of dolls .. might as well make some money to purchase your current "must haves" :) ... Joy.

Figtree3, judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was supposed to be a child when she was in a period when she was feeling like being a mother & to be self sufficient when she didn't want to be bothered. A wise person once observed that she treated me like a hobby. I'm an only, so it was a bit, uh, intense. Let's get back to dolls. Oh, she still had my Barbie, but Ken, who was given to me as a birthday present by a friend, was not there when she died.

She bought all the doll house furniture and many dolls from a little business called the Doll Hospital, run by a woman named Kay, who was older than my mother. Imagine my surprise at finding, when making disposition of my mother's possessions, that not only was the Doll Hospital still in business, Kay was still alive. She must have been 90. I know what she gave me for the beautiful furniture, which was real wood & some of it upholstered, plus a number of Madame Alexander dolls, Barbie & her trunk of clothes, was ridiculously low, but I also knew she would get them into the hands of people who would appreciate them. I kept only the first Madame A I was given, the stocking topper the Christmas when I was, I think, 5, a little ballerina in a pink tutu who has jointed knees, and my mother's Shirley Temple doll, in her Stand Up and Cheer dress. Shirley is standing in a case on top of my display case. Kay I know once brought Shirley's eyes back into place & re-curled her hair.

Bradley, this is what you get when you don't keep the thread on topic!

18. James Conrad

My My My, this doll thread has become interesting, i knew dolls were important to many girls/women but had no clue about how important.

19. Christmasjoy

Yes, we were little mothers to our dolls, that instinct is there even when we were very young, I never had a doll as a child but whenever I got my hands on the cousins dolls my immediate reaction was to hold and rock them, kiss them and sing to them .. just as I did when my own babies were born .. so long ago .. Joy :)

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Ingrid? Love her too!

That's the trouble Joy, the dolls aren't worth now what they were when I was collecting.

I have to admit that I never ever paid full price for them........except for one....paid $250 for 36" Ideal's Shirley Temple doll.

Don't think I could get $100 today. Don't think getting $50 would be a problem, but who knows.

I have quite a few doll parts, and although I haven't checked recently, parts do better than the whole doll!

I have a life size child Chase, and an adult Chase. Both stored, and I wonder about the condition. I almost don't want to look!

Draft saved Draft deleted