Featured Antique doll identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bradley gibbins, Jul 13, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

That goes for many things people collect but, i would argue what's most important is, having interesting things to live with that brings one joy.

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

And I would certainly agree with you on that!

My house is quite full of everything!

I haven't just collected dolls!:)

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

But you ENJOY them Judy, That's the main thing. I think the value of the dolls will rise again, new doll lovers will always buy what appeals to them most. Hang on to them for a while longer and even put some of them up for sale here in the Forum I would buy If something caught my eye .. :) .. Joy.

Bronwen, kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

5. Christmasjoy

6. James Conrad

Rolled across my twitter feed a few mins ago, DOLL MANIA i say

Bath Time Dolly
    bath time_jpg_large.jpg

7. Christmasjoy

Lovely pic EXCEPT that the little girl is bathing a composition bodied doll in water .. the water will destroy the compostion .. it will go soft and disintegrate, one can clean composition with an eraser or a gentle wipe with a damp cloth, but certainly not in a bathtub. The bisque face can be wiped of with a soft damp cloth .. one can use a q-tip for nose creases and ears etc, light rinse and dry .. try not to wipe the lips or eyebrows as the paint might come off somewhat .. go tenderly and she will clean up nicely .. NO BATHTUB FOR HER BODY !! LOVE jOY.

8. James Conrad

It's make believe water! lol
    How old is that pic, 1920s- 1930s or so?

kyratango and judy like this.
  9. Christmasjoy

I would estimate the picture to be around the turn of the century, the doll is certainly earlier than the 20's-30's, and how do you KNOW that the doll is not sitting in water ?? I love the picture do you just want to start an argument ? I'm off to bed .....

kyratango likes this.
  10. James Conrad

I don't know, just guessing

kyratango likes this.
  11. Christmasjoy

I'm just guessing too but I was also trying to give folks a little help in the cleaning of these dolls without damaging them ..Nite, Joy.

kyratango, judy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. James Conrad

Yeah, i was just hoping little girl wasn't damaging her doll while playing with it

kyratango and judy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Removing an old wig. If the doll has a ruined ORIGINAL wig that needs to be replaced it CAN be removed. Get together a small bowl, 6 tablespoons of white vinegar and and 6 tbsps of warm water and mix them together. Using Q-tips dip them in the mixture and begin to apply it to the wig between wig and head work your way around any way you wish, peeling it back slowly bit by bit .. I start at the front but you can apply anywher you wish, The old glue will soften and you can start to ease it off bit by bit, clean the rest of the head with the mixture. When you are applying a new wig USE ELMERS WATER SOLUBLE WASHABLE GLUE, it is easy to replace using the above method. If the wig has been glued on with more modern glue you will probably never get it off .. Style it the best you can or use ribbon or a bonnet and leave it as is ... Joy.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Christmasjoy

I meant to say 'Use Elmers water soluble washable glue', it is easy to REMOVE using the above method, Sorry ... Joy. :)

15. Christmasjoy

Oh my goodness .. I will now print what I meant IN THE ABOVE POST .. I MEANT use the Elmers to attatch a NEW wig .. it will be easy to remove if you wish to change it later, using the above method .. I fear I am losing my marbles or not enough sleep .. Sorry, Joy.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  16. James Conrad

It's OK! Sometimes stuff gets twisted around in textualizing a process especially where one is used to verbalizing it.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

I fully agree with this advice. I don't know how many old bisque head dolls I've seen with "wig pulls". Someone has tried to remove a wig, and actually removed (pulled) part of the bisque off.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Exactly Erstwhile !! .. Do not use this method on composition, wax, or wood dolls .. just the bisque dolls .. you will find it an easy and safe way to do the job, somebody else passed it along to me several years ago .. Joy.

judy likes this.
  19. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

This thread brought back a memory of going to the Doll Hospital with a doll of mine. Excitement mixed with disbelief that there really was a doll hospital. The stone wall as we pulled into the driveway. Walking into an entire room of dolls being "treated." Wow.

Thanks.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. Christmasjoy

What a nice memory LibraryLady .. :) The day will come when I will have to find homes for my dolls .. My daughter and grandaughters don't seem to be very interested in them, but for now I will continue to enjoy them. :) ... Joy.

LIbraryLady and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted