Antique Plaque/Tile does anyone know about it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin RSPCA, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Martin RSPCA

Martin RSPCA Active Member

Hi, I have just recieved a donation of artwork for the RSPCA, and at the bottom of the box was this unusual tile, I wondered if anybody new about it,

It feels very very light, so I do not think it is ceramic, I am quite unsure about it.

Thank you for viewing my post! SAM_2067.JPG SAM_2068.JPG SAM_2069.JPG SAM_2070.JPG

KingofThings and afantiques like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is what is usually called a 'piano key miniature' because allegedly old piano keys were used to make the ivory surround.

The pictures are hand painted in watercolour on ivory sheets, and date from the late 19th, early 20th C. Long before the deadline for ivory being illegal to trade.

It is absolutely typical that the paper on the back was from an 18th or early 19th C book, this was to give an impression that the item was much older than it is. We have a reproduction that is now an antique in its own right.

These are fairly popular and fetch about £50 give or take, so you have something of an ethical dilemma there.It is framed in ivory and painted on ivory, which I expect is not something the RSPCA wants to be selling, but at the same time there is a useful chunk of money for the funds.

No problem, just send it to me to take care of. :)

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Martin RSPCA

Afantiques, thank you so much for all that information, its amazing what interesting items can be found in the bottom of the box,

Your help is much appreciated :)

5. Martin RSPCA

springfld.arsenal , I'm really sorry but your item doesnt ring any bells with me, we have lots of collectors of RSPCA items who call into the shops, so I will print off your picture and see if anybody recognises it! :)

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Didn't we have another one of these piano key miniatures a while back?

And, welcome Martin!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. afantiques

We did, they are not uncommon.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. afantiques

PS Ebay does not allow ivory or part ivory objects to be listed.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya....stilll you can buy Ivory on ebay like it's a fricken bazar....

10. komokwa

Just call it Faux Ivory....or ox bone.... or natural material !!!

11. afantiques

That's fine for Joe Blow, but the RSPCA is quite a social and political hot potato in Britain, for several reasons, and getting caught selling ivory on ebay in violation of the rules would be all over the twittersphere in hours.

Martin RSPCA likes this.
  12. komokwa

That I'd understand !

13. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    check if there is an author or place of publication mentioned somewhere.
    it's a page of either a German-Latin dictionary or a comment.
    I'd first check all the Prussian princesses and queens and carefully look for a siggy, might be KPM or thereabouts

14. afantiques

Fid, they used absolutely any old book that came to hand. It's not a clue. I have sold dozens of these, and the old book page backing is quite random. Occasionally the name of the subject is pencilled on the back of the ivory or ivorine sheet, usually the picture is a miniature of some famous portrait from a gallery somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted