Featured Antique rope bed

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marietowns, Jan 29, 2023.

?

Sell or keep?

1. Sell/auction

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Just paint it or donate it

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

Looks great! How did they install the rails? Did you go to a carpenter?

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No I did it myself. Because the quilt etc would cover the work I just built an inside frame and attached the bed to the outside of it. The inside frame is attached to the metal frame. I have a waterbed that has a mattress that is indistinguishable from a regular mattress. It sits in a metal frame to hold the weight The metal frames are sold separately and hold a regular mattress. Just think it through. I am not a carpenter. I just build things I need. I am a woman by the way.

Aquitaine, Marietowns and Figtree3 like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Kiko-Is there a site which shows you how to convert these old beds into modern-sized Kings & Queens ?
    PS-Nice room Kiko.Is that an Arts & Crafts Bungalow you have-most any time period will work in them-damn My Ranch !

4. bosko69

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I use to do a lot of refinishing I know how hard to hand sand but the only way to protect the wood. I am getting to old to do that !

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I'm sure there is. I build things based on necessity and the materials that I have on hand or make the most sense to me.
    Yes. I own a 1911 Craftsman Bungalow. My decor is eclectic from all kinds of styles and centuries.
    Buy a miter saw and put up some picture railing or crown molding; buy some of the decorative door and windows frames from home depot and reframe them add some antique hardware and you'll have a whole new look. They even sell window treatments that you can add and paint to make your windows look like having decorative interior molding. Your house probably has more than one electric outlet in each room. Don't complain:D

7. KikoBlueEyes

I listen to audiobooks.

8. bosko69

I've seen Ranches converted in Bungalows-the US vernacular Bungalow is one of the great American inventions.Course we stole from everybody else-but did it right.We decided to go understated MCM- go w/ the flow.I did replace all the baseboards-yay H. Depot/Harbor Freight tools.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Ah! It's beautiful!
    Don't paint it!

I'm pretty sure they sell conversation kits on Amazon that'll make it into a queen.
    I dont think converting it would hurt it, if anything, it will broaden your market.

Marietowns likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't know where you live, but LEONARD'S ANTIQUES in Seekonk, MA actually specializes in, first of all, antiques, but also converting beautiful antique beds to larger standard sizes......I might imagine they also might have an old supply of bed rails from people who wanted smaller beds made larger.....just a thought....there are probably other places nearer to where you might live.....

Marietowns and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

They do but because these are turned rails, I’d have to drill into the wood and that makes me nervous. Hopefully I’ll be able to find someone to do it local!

12. Marietowns

Marietowns New Member

I’m in CA now and moving to SC this summer. Maybe they’ll know of someone in either place. I’ll ask- thanks!

13. KikoBlueEyes

in socal? I use a local antique repair shop where I am at.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted