Featured antique/Vintage Brown Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

love the bookcase...we had a small store in early 80's. The prices for these were 2 to 3 times these current prices

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Johnny! I had a look at your top two online, and I think I'll go with Traditional Homes. :bookworm:
    Otra vez, muchas gracias! Remember I found out the hard way that you speak Spanish!

EDIT
    (I said a curse word in Spanish and got busted)

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

My friend sells furniture and used to deal in only 'old/antique brown' pieces but over the last year or so has started selling MCM pieces. The MCM sells quickly, the old sells but not as fast although the large dining tables that usually have extension pieces to increase the size are good sellers for him. He still gets orders to restore/refinish old pieces but doesn't paint anything. Here is his site to get an idea of prices up here. http://www.qualityantiquefurniture.ca/home

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link. Prices are definitely higher than here. We really don't sell MCM here as well as in other places. It sells but slower than more traditional furniture..... brown or painted.

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVE that Birds Eye Maple chest of drawers!!!!:):):)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Love the bookcase.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I still love it personally, but ive seen the dark stuff just doesnt sell.
    Warmer wood tones will though.

I just left an estate sale with a ton of it.
    I wanted it all but they were asking a lot. :/

KingofThings likes this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

In Europe, white was very popular for a while but in the recent year it's gone down in popularity too. I've seen a lot of brown furniture being painted matte black with chalk paint in the past year, also 'stripped' look has been on the rise: the paint removed about 95% to expose the shabby-looking old wood and create dimension.

Grey driftwood-look and light grey in general seems quite popular as well.

I myself like many different options... but matte walnut is timeless

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Interesting post. I went on my local Craigslist to see if I could get a few photos to post, and searching "Antique furniture", I kid you not, half the pieces were already repainted!

I know that my local consignment store will not take dark brown antique furniture unless it is really a stunner, something very unusual.

It is just the trend of the decade, lighter looks. Maybe because people move more these days, and there is an impression (often correctly) that these older wood pieces are heavier to move.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I hate "blonde" wood or anything lighter that has warm / yellow tones.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. verybrad

Here are a couple more bargains from our store.

This huge cabinet is only $600.00.....

upload_2016-4-20_19-45-56.png

This set is only $150.00 (there is a 4th chair). All in great condition. There was a time when this would have easily been $500.00 or more ........ for the table alone. Going rate on a set of 4 t-backs used to be at least $200.00 and maybe as high as $400.00.

upload_2016-4-20_19-47-4.png

KingofThings, komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  12. verybrad

$67.50 for this table.......

upload_2016-4-20_19-50-56.png

13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Astonishing, Brad.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. verybrad

I'd say, more like depressing ....... :(:depressed:

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yeah. *hugs*

KingofThings likes this.
  16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Here's a clumsy photo of our dining set... 4 chairs, table, and church bench against the wall. Inherited from my ol' man's relatives. So warm and just... family-looking. I love it.
    20160420_212442_resized.jpg

17. verybrad

This unusual china cabinet was recently marked down to $250.00 after sitting a month at $365.00...... Have never seen one with gesso ram's head decoration like this.

upload_2016-4-20_20-16-26.png

Recently marked down to $580.00..... Beautifully carved on the front of the drop desk to match the carving on the top.

upload_2016-4-20_20-21-55.png

kyratango, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  18. verybrad

Gila,

I assume this is an English draw-leaf table? Those are probably the most massive carved pillars I have seen on a set like this.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  19. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I guess, Brad... yeah, there are three leaves... it's bigggg!

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Beautiful set Gila. The carved base is amazing.

A couple of weeks ago, there was an article in the local paper about a new shop that opened in town selling re-purposed, upcycled home furnishing . I happened to be going by there so I stopped in to take a quick look. Just about everything was painted antique or vintage brown furniture. Some pieces were well done. Two painted chairs broke my heart. Some things should never be painted. They had a lot of serving trays made from old draws. The prices were very high. It will be interesting to see if the store makes it.

Draft saved Draft deleted