Featured antique/Vintage Brown Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you, Mill Cove! The church bench was reportedly rescued from a to-be-demolished Methodist church... it's a great solution for seating a bunch of kids or... lovers!

2. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

A store in my town sells similar ones painted shabby white (or sometimes black) for 300-600$ and the tables (and everything else they sell) always sell within days or weeks.

3. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Wow....I've been looking for an old cabinet like that for years. $600.00, to me, is a cheap! Most that I come across have serious condition issues! Brad, mail that cabinet to Arizona!

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very dry in Arizona.......I would think that wood has a hard time staying in shape out your way.
    Specially older wood.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So at the thrift store today....

Icebox would have been $29.99 but half price day so $15 but someone beat me to it or I'd have brought it home. Dining table would have been $34.99 but today $17.50. The vanity was at a different store and was $49.99. I'm trying to stay clear of furniture so just brought home a little $5 chair (not wood).

upload_2016-4-25_20-25-10.png icebox 2.jpg table.jpg vanity.jpg

upload_2016-4-25_20-38-4.png

Aquitaine, Ruedi, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Astonishing values.
    That ICE-CHEST! To cry AND die for!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yikes! .... An ice box like that used to bring $500-600.00 back in the day here in the Midwest. Nice vanity ....... maybe Heywood Wakefield?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Scary prices huh? Ice boxes used to go high here too. It's a pretty good thrift sometimes price wise though so I wouldn't expect to see it that low much of anywhere else (but who knows these days?) I didn't look for a maker on the vanity but had to snap a pic because I love it. There is one on Ebay saying Heywood Wakefield though. I need to do some clearing out and more furniture is not going to help LOL.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You couldn't pay me $15 to haul that icebox around !:inpain:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. verybrad

The huge European cabinet I posted on page 2 for $600.00 has still not had any takers. They marked it down to $525.00 now. Have to think that someone is not too happy about their return on investment on this one..... not to mention the floor space it takes up for going on three months now.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Most people don't know how to decorate, or to create a harmonious, idyllic home so they go for what's trendy because it's the easy way of doing it.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. verybrad

This cabinet is now down to $395.00 OBO. The owners who consigned it have relinquished it to the store. If not bought soon, it will be donated to a charity thrift.
    upload_2016-6-16_0-27-21.png

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:(

14. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Ugh! I want that SO bad!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It soooo terrible about furniture. I have a friend who trying to sell her house. It is a wonderful Victorian built in 1870 with all belongings including furniture. The bedrooms all have marble topped furniture including original opal glass dresser stuff
    including 10kt and 14 kt hatpins. The house is on the Historic Register including all furnishings and the garden. It was a mess 35 yrs ago. It has been lovingly restored and all repaired. She has spent over a million dollars having it restored and furnished. Her highest offer has been 250 thousand. Five years ago these houses were 1-2 million dollars. Her living room suite was bought for 12 thousand and she spent 5k on having it restored. The highest price she was offered was 2 thousand and that included the Oriental rugs and the bronze fireplace equiptment and piano, drapes and all. I have lived too long.
    greg

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

:(

17. KingofThings

Is it in Cape May?
    I wonder if ads in This Old House and such magazines/sites might work?

18. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Where I live, brown antique furniture or any stained antique furniture (not fake "period" furniture) is basically impossible to find. Everything is painted.

I just recently realized how boring and tacky most of the original antiques here are. There were maybe only a handful of stately houses in the area back in the day so that explains it. Thank goodness for the imported ones coming in from Sweden and France. I didn't realize it before but most of the antique furniture sold here is from Sweden.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Kot,
    Her house is in Plainfield NJ. It was a very expensive neighborhood until the riots in the 60s then it started to go down the drain. Certain areas remained very expensive and then the revival and people were looking for 25 room mansions. The historical correct homes never went down until 5 ys ago. Her house is only 10 rooms. The 25 and 30 room mansions are also feeling the pinch. The house tours usually brought 800 to 1000 people, the last one only sold 125 tickets. I usually helped with the tours. I was a docent for the parlour and dining rooms. The tickets were 20 bucks and that included 30 houses and gardens
    greg

kyratango and KingofThings like this.
  20. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I love antique brown furniture, I absolutely hate anything modern, If you add all those antique touches such as textiles to a room with brown furniture it won't look dowdy.

kyratango and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted