Featured antique/Vintage Brown Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Speaking of modern.. I have to admit, I dislike certain types of homes: some of them have combined antique furniture with 70s furniture and mid-century design and knick-knacks and stuff from the 1920s all the way to 2010s and everything in between... and it all is this oppressive chaos of tackiness where nothing is cohesive or fresh or timeless.

What I mean is, for example:

A shiny 80's fake brass candlestick with colourful taper candles on a brown doily... polished off with a bunch of plasticy fake flowers.. and it's all sitting on a chrome smoke-glass top table... dreadful. Next to it is a country pine dresser from the 19th century but someone ruined it by stripping the paint / stain off in the 80s. It is lacquered with that slightly sticky stuff school desks used to be coated with and instead of the brass hardware..... it has... (hold my hand now) round wooden knobs from the early 90s!!!

No offence. Just showing my distaste for artificial-feeling kitschy homes that are SO not timeless. That's only my opinion, though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Always nice to have a self-appointed arbiter of good taste declaring a specific age group's tackiness in their decor...

~Cheryl

gregsglass likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:(

4. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I don't mean that everyone in that age group has bad taste.

There are terrible interiors in ALL age groups from ALL eras.

That's why we have interior designers. And artists.

To help people

KingofThings likes this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Thoughtful of you to to edit out the age reference, it does makes your post less offensive...

~Cheryl

kyratango, Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bluemoon - I'm wondering where you are that all the "antique furniture" comes from Sweden?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Not all, just most of it, basically.

Next to Sweden.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

DSC08116.JPG DSC08118.JPG DSC08119.JPG DSC08121.JPG DSC08123.JPG okay awesome thread, let me ask , do i strip and refinish , paint it , or leave it alone ?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The pulls of the drawers are gorgeous. I would replace the non-existing one(s) with matching ones and strip and re-finish the whole chest of drawers with some yummy deep delicious wood tone stain and lacquer it semi matte.

What's the point of keeping the current finish? Is it original?

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  10. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

The original finish is in a bad state so if it was mine I would strip it and sympathetically refinish it as near as possible to its original look.

11. lloyd249

that has been my choice so far i have had it 20 year my mother inlaw was going to have me put it out to the garbage i said no way it is beautiful ,she looked at me sideways and said keep it lol

KingofThings likes this.
  12. lloyd249

yes i think so

KingofThings likes this.
  13. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

My logic when re-finishing a piece that has a colour I don't like too much, is to choose my favourite colour out of the colours which "could've been the original" aka those tones typical to the style and period of the piece. Or if you like it, you could just do it the same colour it is as Poisonivy said.

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  14. lloyd249

i little story about it , the day i moved into the place i'm in i dropped a draw off the top of it , it exploded into five pieces and i was beside myself . I was wondering how much glue and screws and nails i would need to fix it , as i was putting it together it all fit back no glue no screws no nails (just the ones in it already ) nothing slid right in an has been fine.
    ps i only use it to store other collectibles

kyratango and KingofThings like this.
  15. lloyd249

if i paint it, it should be in the style of another artist, like the chair (lol) or an original painting ? I could do a lot with it now that i have the ideas

KingofThings likes this.
  16. KingofThings

If you're using it for storage maybe just clean it up and then just rub it with lighter stain and honor that child's 'artwork'...... Yours? ;)

lloyd249 likes this.
  17. lloyd249

i got it as is

KingofThings likes this.
  18. lloyd249

there is no damage to the structure, but the finish is defiantly in the black .

KingofThings likes this.
  19. lloyd249

some pretty colors to paint it , maybe get ryan coke to do it DSC08124.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  20. KingofThings

I like things that have a story to tell.
    If it were mine...and for that use...I would do as I suggested. :)

lloyd249 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted