Featured antique/Vintage Brown Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by verybrad, Apr 7, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Even good MCM is not selling in my market. This Lane Perception coffee table has just been marked down from $85.00 to half price ($42.50) due to non-sale. On first dibs there are a couple of them in the $1500.00 range. Our customers don't know or care. :(

[​IMG]

This nicer than most vanity in immaculate condition has been marked down to $60.00. It was offered to me for $40.00 and I turned it down. I would have to turn it in to two nightstands to be able to sell it and don't have the heart to do so......

[​IMG]

I have this nice well made art deco desk and chair for $139.00 and have had no takers.....
    [​IMG]
    Nice restrained detailing with solid bronze hardware.....
    [​IMG]

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

That is depressing brad, hope it will turn around in your area. That vanity looks very nice!

kyratango and lloyd249 like this.
  3. verybrad

This just came in the shop today. Although not Stickley, it is a nice mission oak Morris chair in great refinished condition. Asking $165.00. Not long ago, this would have been in the $500.00 range.

[​IMG]

kyratango, Aquitaine and lloyd249 like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's just beautiful, Brad.

5. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

hi brad, love that chair, to bad it's not a Stickley, but does look well made .
    what can you tell me about this dresser i bought a while ago . thank you in advance, it's kinda blocked by my daughters stuff lol it has 6 drawers all medium and are almost interchangeable(puts the handles on the wrong side ). 3 feet high 4 ft long and 18 in deep . veneered , finish i'm thinking 1970/80's ,maybe . DSC08221.JPG DSC08223.JPG DSC08225.JPG DSC08229.JPG DSC08226.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  6. verybrad

More like late 50s-60s. Not the highest quality from the era but a look that is in fashion these days.

lloyd249 likes this.
  7. lloyd249

ya it is cheaply made ,now that i had a good look without the drawers in

8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Really?

lloyd249 likes this.
  9. lloyd249

he is right, and that is what attracted me also , the look lol

10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Good for you if you like it but I think this proves how different people's tastes are.

(I'm talking about the chest of drawers that reminds me of David Bowie, not brown furniture)

lloyd249 likes this.
  11. lloyd249

if you are referring to me ,then i guess , maybe that's where he got his look from, and yes it is all brown except for the draws , it is good dresser for my daughter for $5 , i told her i needed to get a good picture for antiquers . com and it got her to clean up her room lol win, win .

EDIT: kinda reminds me of alice cooper or paul stanley from kiss lol

12. lloyd249

brad may i ask you , in the old days say 1943, craftsman used a lathe that left a indent in the wood right . any reason there would be an indent like that on my chair underneath in the middle (the seat is all one piece ) , it is all square , and what year/s did tongue and groove type furniture hit the market ?

13. verybrad

A lathe is used for turnings and early lathes do leave irregularities. By the 40s, most lathes were automated. I assume you are talking about a gouge in the wood on the bottom of a chair seat? That could have been done by a hand plane and, since on the bottom, not seen as necessary to fix. Tongue and groove joinery goes back centuries. Some chests using tongue and groove joints are documented back to the 13th century.

lloyd249 likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya...looks kinda space age to me !!

lloyd249 likes this.
  15. lloyd249

yeah , to make dowels for legs yes. but not a flat square seat , i'm guessing the dot is from the painter to turn the chair somehow while being painted imo . tongue and groove has been used for centuries yes but in the early 1900 when they were running out of wood didn't they start using it for everyday furniture . i ask because Nick has a similar chair but a decade or 3 newer and it is a tongue and groove seat on it .

16. verybrad

I guess I didn't really know what you meant. Have seen that dot on chair bottoms before and not really sure why it is there. I suppose it could have been mounted to a turntable in a machine that rotates it for shaping. As for multi-board seats with tongue and grove joinery, they would date to late 19th century at the earliest.

lloyd249 likes this.
  17. lloyd249

thank you brad, Nick was the one who noticed the indent and asked me about it lol his chair doesn't have an indent in it . i will check to see if the indent has paint in it or over it ,or not , that will tell me if it was done before or after i suppose lol

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG, SiS...what STATE are you in for such ridiculously LOW prices????:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

lloyd249 likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In reference to Bluemoon's video:

It is now a modern house.....with some of the old characteristics left.....somehow, I think I would have found another way to brighten up the hallway without painting all of that paneled wood.....that was pure, unvarnished SIN!!!!!! Wish I had THAT kind of $$$$$ to throw around though!!!!:smuggrin::joyful::smuggrin::joyful::smuggrin::joyful::smuggrin::joyful::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm in Northern Virginia, not known for low prices usually

Draft saved Draft deleted