Featured Antonio Paoletti Woodblock Print ? "Gamesters"

Discussion in 'Art' started by orrbobby, Jun 17, 2018.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

Hello, Could someone tell me if this looks like a woodblock print ? What is a woodblock print and how to you tell it is a woodblock print ? Thanks. I have researched this print titled "Gamesters" but not sure it is a woodblock print. Thank You IMG_3359.JPG IMG_3361.JPG IMG_3360.JPG IMG_3363.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not a woodblock. An engraving of some kind.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think this is a steel plate engraving. Steel plates, or steel plated copper or zinc plates were used for large run prints in art magazines, books and such. Because they're steel, they'll take the wear, but they rend to be rather crisp and cold with very evenly applied ink.

How big is it? Prints like this usually aren't worth a lot, but I find them very attractive and have several.

5. orrbobby

The print itself is 9" x 7". Lower right it says F. Holl Sculp and lower left it says A. Paoletti Pinx. It is a pretty cool piece. I like it. When I go to thrift stores and yard sales I buy stuff that I like. If I don't sell it It's ok cause I Like it.:smug:

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  6. orrbobby

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9" x 7" sounds like a fairly usual size for a print from an art magazine.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

9. orrbobby

Thanks so much. Is it safe to say that since there is no color in my engraving that it was done around 1880?? The frame looks original!!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yes. The print is as it would have appeared in the magazine (barring any condition issues it might have picked up in the last 100 years or so).

Condition does affect the price on these things as they are of a type and not uncommon.

Christmasjoy, judy and aaroncab like this.
  11. orrbobby

Hey moreotherstuff, thanks for your time, you and the others on this site are very informative and I appreciate it. :smug::smug:

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I love both.....with and without color!!!

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Odd that it would say 'Sculp'? 'Inc.' is the more usual abbreviation to designate the engraver.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

In my experience I think Sculp is the most common.

Might have to do with whether or not it's a stand alone print rather than a copy of someone else's painting.

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm most often looking at Italian things, which may also use use 'dip.' instead of 'pinx'. Here's a short list of common abbreviations used on prints. Seems a handful, including sculp., indicate the engraver.

orrbobby likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Having it vary with nationality makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted