Featured Anyone gone to credit card arbitration?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Oct 10, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Without a signed delivery receipt at address in question, you will probably lose. Banks almost always take consumer side in these situations even though they are aware that consumer fraud is a huge problem.

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

True, the cc company will do it's best to side with the buyer.
    I am wondering if they paid with PP, if they first went to PP to file a INR and were told tracking shows delivery so they had to move on to the cc co.

Over a certain amount I also require sig conf even if PP and Etsy don't think I need it at that level. I always do put in the listing that buyer will need to sign for pkg.

If there pkg was stolen by a porch pirate, they need to go to the police.
    And they need to go to their po and see what is what. Could be a scammer.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The address she required us to ship to was a bin number at a “package place.” No residence or porch involved. The tracking shows it was delivered to the address specified by the customer. I suspect there isn’t even a practical way to get a signature when a place like that is the address, but way too late to worry about that now. Only two #thefts” out of over 10k Online sales, so we’re watching this unfold out of curiosity only at this point, we’re sure we’ll “lose” but so what, as they say, ya can’t win ‘em all.

komokwa, judy, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

But next time you get an order from a Vietnamese female in Anaheim, Ca., asking you to ship to a delivery bin number, realize it could be the same she-devil that ripped us off. She’s figured out how to do this and get away with it, so pretty soon I expect there will be teams of her accomplises doing it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Bronwen, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. James Conrad

Yeah, this is a popular scam by some criminals which is why most merchants will not ship product to a PO Box #, never mind a package place, it's just to easy to steal .

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

What responsibility does the package place have? I’m sure she must pay a fee to use the service. Wouldn’t they have some explaining to do?

7. James Conrad

None, zero liability for them, ditto PO Box#

cxgirl, judy and i need help like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

Well that is scary to read.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I had a situation with a delivery to a package place where I needed to know if they had received the item. I don't remember the details, but they were able to provide me with something.

Legally, is a seller responsible for what happens to a package after it's received by these places?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    cxgirl, judy and i need help like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

Pat, from what I read and this could be wrong, that if a buyer pays with PP and it arrives at one of these places and is marked delivered, than the seller is off the hook with PP. PP goes by what is delivered.

I sometimes get a buyer who uses these places that then forward on the item to the buyer elsewhere. Not often but sometimes.

cxgirl, i need help and judy like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, in my case every time I've shipped to one of these places it was then forwarded to the buyer in another country. Usually Asia, but one time it was shipped to a buyer in South America, if I remember correctly.

I've had the impression that eBay, PP, and probably Etsy are happy as long as there's proof a package arrived at the address supplied by the buyer, even if it's a package place. But I was wondering under the eyes of the law how it would be handled? Also how credit card companies view it?

12. James Conrad

The problem with this is, PP is not a bank and so being in the clear with PP or Ebay does not solve the problem, it's the bank that makes these determinations.

pearlsnblume, i need help and judy like this.
  13. James Conrad

Bottom line in all this is, unless you ship directly to customer address & have a signed receipt for delivery to that address, the bank is going to issue a "charge back" against the merchant/seller, simple as that.

pearlsnblume, i need help and judy like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Customer's address or the address the customer gave you when they placed the order?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Customer address on debit/credit card.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's not very reasonable, then, when online sellers never see the address on a buyer's credit or debit card.

Plus how would a seller have proof that an item was delivered to an address that they weren't told to ship to?

judy likes this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

p.s. I'm not arguing about the reality... just amazed that something that illogical and unreasonable would be the practice followed by credit card companies.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

Well, banks market/sell the cards on zero liability for the customer so we know how that is gonna work, criminals/crooks look for holes/gaps to exploit and BOOM, there ya go!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. James Conrad

Yeah, that's a problem, no doubt. Most merchants have accounts with a processor & they see the account number, address, whole dealio.

judy and Pat P like this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sitting here shaking my head and frowning.

I would think if a credit card fraud case of this sort went to court or arbitration, the plaintiff would win. I'd hope so, anyway.

judy, pearlsnblume and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted