Featured Anyone gone to credit card arbitration?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Oct 10, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

We know the bank isn't going to take the loss so without proof...................

judy likes this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

James, the bank isn't going to take the loss. Their credit card holder won't get their money back.
    If, and a big if, Spring won.
    Spring, FWIW, and it is not my money, but II would spend the $$$ and challenge the claim. Make the buyer and credit card do a little work for their money. Let us know the outcome, please.
    Patd

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pat's right. And for those don't already know, "zero liability" only covers unauthorized or fraudulent use and that is not the card holder's claim in this case.

pearlsnblume, judy and Pat P like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is PP still confirming addresses? If you shipped to, & tracking shows delivered to, the confirmed address, doesn't PP have some liability here?

Wonder whether these places that rent mailboxes are reqiired to have any kind of authorization from the USPS as an agent of the USPS with the same degree of responsibility.

All in all, I agree it's a scam.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. James Conrad

Yep, is a scam, no doubt!

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. James Conrad

I notice when i buy something expensive like a natural gas grill this past spring that was 2k, i had to sign for it, ditto last year when i bought a leather club chair with ottoman that was close to 3k, had to sign. You can bet with expensive items there is a chain of custody (signature) required all down the line but with smaller items that cost $100-200 or less there is not, the stuff just shows up on my doorstep delivered by FedEx/UPS, no signature, no nuttin.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and judy like this.
  7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Just a couple of comments.

Most things people are referring to as 'proof' are not that, they are evidence. Their probative value is variable, even a signed receipt is not proof, just strong evidence.

Remeber the Godfather. It's not personal, it's just business. By all means summon a posse and go galloping off over the hill, as a personal crusade. It is simply not good business practice though. Consider the loss as a couple of cents less on those 10,000 odd sales and consider the odd possible fraud as part of the business cost like 'shrinkage' in real shops.
    When I was a prolific ebay seller I took no precautions whatsoever against customer fraud because the incidence of what might possibly be fraud was low enough to be a trivial cost overall, and one that is far smaller than any defensive measure like tracking would have been.

Just pay $200 less for your next $10,000 cannon, the vendor won't lose the deal for $200 and you have passed on the loss to someone else.

Figtree3 and anundverkaufen like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OTOH, if you hate thieves and liars as much as I do....

judy likes this.
  9. Sparky

Sparky Member

I wonder if the seller "accepts" the charge back - can they then report the item as stolen?

judy likes this.
  10. James Conrad

Yeah, aggravating no doubt but biz wise, i think it's best to take the loss and move on.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted