Featured Anyone know anything about these?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bsweit, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your china cabinet dates to teens or so. Serpentine front dresser is circa 1900. The drop pulls, top right, are not original.

3. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

Thank you. I wasn't passing on a china cabinet with a goat on it lol. I've never seen one (and I used to work for an auctioneer for years and we did lots of antiques).

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Neat pieces!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. verybrad

I posted one with ram's heads here a few years ago. It was smaller with just 2 heads. Will see if I can dig up the photo sometime tomorrow.

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and Bsweit like this.
  7. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

As the owner of an actual real live ram this artist needed to look at a ram a bit better lol it looks more like our goats than our rams.

verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. komokwa

I apologize ...it must be a goat then.:sorry::sorry:

Bsweit and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Sounds like the eye-level row in this piece needs to be framed photo displays of your animals... :D

Bsweit and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. verybrad

mirana and Bsweit like this.
  11. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

Well now I need one of these too

12. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

Genius

mirana likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome Bsweit!
    Please, in future, put something in your title about the item, you will get more looks by the knowledgeable people in that field.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

I just picked these pieces up and the back of the dresser has a hand written tag saying it was made by Geo Hillemann in Altamont, IL (which is about an hour or so away from where I am).

komokwa and mirana like this.
  15. verybrad

Tag may be owner or retailer. Most likely made by a mainstream furniture company.

16. komokwa

like to see that tag...

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bsweit likes this.
  18. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

No, it was a furniture company in Altamont, IL from the 1880's til about 1930. Here is something I found
    "George Hillemann was born November 1, 1853 in Hanover, Germany (Prussia). He came to the United States around 1866. He married Ada Wright on April 24, 1883. She was the daughter of Dr. Charles M. and Victoria (Peck) Wright.

George Hillemann was a timberman and a furniture maker. He bought a lot of his lumber for his furniture factory in Arkansas. The factory was west of the B & O tracks. At its peak the factory employed 75 to 100 employees. George Hillemann was said to be one of the richest men in Altamont. Samuel Schroeder was a manager at the factory at one time. After the factory closed, it was sold to George Strobel and was torn down in 1936. I’d bet that you can still find people in Altamont that have a piece of furniture that was made at Hillemann Furniture Factory.
    George Hilleman died on May 16, 1932. His wife Ada died on February 16, 1937. Both are buried at Union Cemetery in Altamont, Illinois"

Apparently there is a town in Arkansas named after him as well

19. Bsweit

Bsweit New Member

I just shared some quotes info from this. I'm about 45 minutes away from Altamont but the town where I purchased this piece is closer than that. Based on the house I picked it up from I'm guessing it was purchased new or close to and has been there it's entire life.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. verybrad

Stand corrected. Did not sound like a furniture factory name and not familiar with it. We often see tags on the backs of furniture that are mistaken as from the maker. Would generally not expect a maker's tag to be hand written.

Bsweit and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted