Featured Art Deco Hunter’s (diner? Restaurant?) dish identification help!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jared92, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Hi everyone!
    I’m a big collector of Salem Streamline/Tricorne dishes and just purchased this saucer with a “Hunter’s” logo on it which I’ve never come across. The dish was found in Greensboro NC but unfortunately that’s all I’ve got. Tried to do some searches on any Hunter’s restaurants, diners, or cafes from this era to match the logo, but no luck. Anyone recognize it? These dishes were produced in the 40s in Salem, Ohio. I’ll also attach some pictures of some of my collection, I’m always looking for for pieces! Hope it rings a bell for someone, would love to know the history of it!
    Thanks!
    Jared

90008A50-8DF6-45EC-9C8A-DE3E99604F87.jpeg A7A8FF23-85F7-4234-8E35-DFD250EAE257.jpeg B2953AC3-7623-4DAE-85A8-E3A2C57E5977.jpeg 319AFCFE-1935-4581-8785-D21A1BE748DB.jpeg B7E8C5EF-D582-4037-8406-CAF1CA16DEEA.jpeg B023CD38-9D2A-4E83-9FF6-82EDCC08146D.jpeg A7A8FF23-85F7-4234-8E35-DFD250EAE257.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What an interesting collection. Here's a Hunter's Restaurant in Orlando. Dates about right but looks a bit downscale to have customized china.

https://hunters-restaurant.com

Debora

Bronwen and Jared92 like this.
  3. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Thanks Debora!
    Youre right about the dates lining up. The logos aren’t the same but they could have gone through a few different logos. I sent them a message!

pixieforpapa and Bronwen like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Can you show us a mark in case we spot a triangular plate?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Definitely! So there are different stamps, but here is an example. 6833D991-EC87-40E4-BE3D-931ABAC4F083.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Jared92

Jared92 Member

This one is more common I find
    DB6858E0-ABF5-4753-AD53-1346608163CD.jpeg

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I'll keep an eye out for you. Do you want only sets?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

The Hunter's trademark here looks like yours...and it is associated with soda fountains. First, here is a comparison of the logos (I had to enlarge the tiny b/w logo, which made it rather pixellated):
    HuntersLogoComp.jpg

HuntersTrademark.jpg

9. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Oh wow! THAT is some good sleuthing! Thank you!

10. Jared92

Jared92 Member

I’m interested in anything you come across! Thank you!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. morgen94

Here is the only little bit I could see in Google books; from the Carolina Journal of Pharmacy, Vol. 31. 1950. I would like to find the entire ad...
    HuntersLogo1950.jpg

12. morgen94

...and I found it. Here is the full ad, from the 1950 Carolina Journal of Pharmacy, Vol 31
    HuntersFullAd1950.jpg

13. morgen94

Well HERE is a piece that would have gone nicely with your dishes.

i need help likes this.
  14. Jared92

Jared92 Member

Amazing! Can I ask how you did that search? I’d love to know if anything like that could be found for Salem tricorne or Salem streamline. I’ve seen what can be found by just searching on google, but always interested in new ways to find content or dishes

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. morgen94

It is often just a matter of entering the correct words. In this case I started at the USPTO and just searched for Hunter's. I got something like 3500 results, but among them only about six were exactly "Hunter's," so it was easy to scroll through the results quickly and click only on the ones that were for Hunter's.

From that result (I swear it is ALWAYS on the last page...) I saw it was assigned to the H.B. Hunter Co., so that is what I searched for next: "H.B. Hunter Co" "Hunter's"

The other thing that invariably helps is to not just settle for the "All" Google search results, but to also click on ":More" at the top of the Google screen, then select "Books" That usually brings up older hits, which is usually what I am looking for.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    pixieforpapa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. morgen94

I forgot to add that once I found the Google hit on the 1950 Carolina Journal of Pharmacy, where I could only see the top part of the logo, I searched for "Carolina Journal of Pharmacy" vol. 31 and found it HERE.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. morgen94

In a university library database to which I have access I found a 1934 ad for Salem China's new Tricorne shape and in the same publication I found an article that had a paragraph about the new shape.

For copyright reasons I cannot reproduce the ad or article, but I will transcribe the information, for educational purposes.

The ad and article were in the October 1934 issue of the Crockery & Glass Journal. The ad touted Salem China's "New 'Tricorne' Shape; Patent Applied For" and added "Once more SALEM announces the sensation of the year! Foremost stylists have acclaimed the TRICORNE as the vogue of the season. Now, we offer this smart new Bridge Set n Tricorne Shape in a variety of lovely decorations..."

I transcribed the longer article reference and when I went to post it I found I was no longer logged in and I lost it all (I really wish it wouldn't do that), so I will retype it in the next post.

18. morgen94

...and here is the reference in the same publication, in a article that discusses new dinnerware shapes: "A SHORT LINE uses an unusual shaped tricorne plate for smart service at the Salem China Co. The plate is a triangular shape with arched sides and will actually hold as much and is as large as the ordinary dinner plate. As yet they have not modelled cups or other pieces for this setup, but that grand Streamline shape which we discussed several months ago is being used. The cups have fine moden (sic) lines, while the sugar and creamer carry through with the same feeling. These tricorne sets are being made up in tea and bridge service for the present although they are planning to develop this line for the near future into regular dinner service. The decorations on this shape are extremely simple and use banded treatments as well as solid color shoulders. These in effective colors make for a grand tea service."

19. morgen94

From a Jan 1935 ad, here are some tricorne designs...something for which you can hunt!
    SalemChinaTricorneDesignsJan1935.jpg

20. KikoBlueEyes

Draft saved Draft deleted