Featured Bali Art Deco wood carving. Crazy ashtray.....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, Rene.

i need help and judy like this.
  2. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

you are an ocean of knowledge

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I think i may have sent it off the rails & naturally AJ jumped on it! It started with an ashtray then went to sleep! literally!

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Thank you again, Rene.:happy:
    I will start that new Bali Art Deco thread, with more of my collection, in the foreseeable future. Most beauties are now photographed.:)
    Please feel free to add your pictures when I do. I will tag you.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  5. James Conrad

Yes, this thread is a year old, i just re-read it & noticed Mansons posts, he's been sleeping! Time for another Bali Art Deco thread & maybe he will wake up to post.

6. Any Jewelry

I miss him a lot. Not just in threads, but we had an ongoing private conversation about just about anything and everything, just as interesting as his posts.

Christmasjoy, judy and James Conrad like this.
  7. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Nice piece AJ. Just love the carving detail and fluidity.

8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Wow beautiful, and a pleasent reminder of the ill effects :cigar:

:smuggrin:

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

He promised us a long time ago that he had left instructions for someone to let us know if anything happened to him. I am holding out hope since that has not happened, but it has been so long I am getting worried we may never know for sure. I just know one thing for sure, he is missed greatly. :(:(:(

10. Any Jewelry

Thanks, I liked the flow in the design as well.
    And I don't even smoke.:D The lion fish seems a little upset at having people use his back for cigarette ash.
    Indonesians are still notorious smokers, mostly of 'kreteks' or clove cigarettes, which were invented for people with pulmonary ailments.:jawdrop: They are just as bad for your health.
    [​IMG]

11. Any Jewelry

I think so too.:(

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. James Conrad

Agrees, it has been a long time, that isn't a good sign. I didn't know him very well, I have only been posting a year myself but, he was very active in posting at that time. It's only when old threads like this pop up that i am reminded he isn't posting & hasn't for quite awhile.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  13. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

This an amazing piece,,,,,, would you believe that I found one in a collection that is almost identical????? yes I even thought that this could be your website, however after a closer examination I see that it is a different piece,,,,, wow.
    To see a similar piece go to:::http://www.art-from-bali.com/details_image_eng.aspx?afbeelding-id=3216

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I would.:) I have seen others quite similar as well.
    On Bali, when a piece was succesful or popular it was soon copied by others. This was totally acceptable since Bali has a communal culture, not individualist like many other cultures.
    Copying stopped when pieces no longer sold. A simple matter of supply and demand.
    The ashtray on Art from Bali is later than mine. I don't know if mine was the very first, but it could have been, because the maker is well-known.

As you probably know, since you live there, the communal viewpoint is still the same in Balinese culture. Which is also why they have no qualms about copying arts and crafts from other parts of the world.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  15. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

16. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

Hi all
    I just came across an interesting Balinese carving that I find rather intriguing.
    The bottom has carved in it::::: Toko PDP/Bali 1780 with the out line of the island of Bali.
    Could this be an actual date?
    Its an image of a woman holding fruit.
    I appreciate your opinion.
    I could send you a picture via watsup
    Sincerely
    Rene

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

18. Any Jewelry

Latin script wasn't used in Bali in 1780, so it is another kind of number.
    It isn't according to the Javanese calender either, because that is already in the 6000s and uses Javanese Kawi script.
    Do you have a photo of the carving?
    There could still be a toko (shop) PDP on Bali somewhere.

Rene, you sent me a message about DEI. I think I have answered that a couple of times. It is not a term I am familiar with, but now I'm thinking this DPD could be something similar.
    Codes of what goes to which shop maybe? Like: these carvings to be sent to toko DEI, and these other ones are for toko PDP?
    Just guessing, but worth looking into. That is probably easier for you, since you are on Bali.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  19. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

Thanks so much I appreciate you swift reply. I am sending you a picture now.

20. rene Zen Bali

rene Zen Bali Member

I found some very interesting info on jimmy Pandy and his art Gallery in Sanur...

Most of the older people in Das remember Tuan Pandy as they called him,,,,,

I have been looking for now for info, about AA Fatimah,,, who sold many item in the 1940 to later dates

Draft saved Draft deleted