Basket bonanza part 1

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Next up to sort and organize are the baskets I've collected over the years. Anything that looked even vaguely interesting I set aside without research. In an attempt to make sense of them, I bought a few of the books @komokwa recommended in the reference book thread https://www.antiquers.com/threads/reference-books.81/. And that has helped a little. But unlike wood and metal, which I have a great deal of experience with (making, repairing, modifying), I've never tried to make a basket so I know I am missing a lot.

There are a lot of baskets, and I've taken a lot of pictures. The towel and grid both have one inch squares to figure out the size. I can't see starting thirty different posts, so I'll try to group them. I'll start with the ones that I think are less interesting, and work my way up to the ones that I think are better. That will take a few posts, so please bear with me if you think these are crap, since they will get better (I hope).

So these are I think African or Chinese and fairly recent. Part of sorting will be to get rid of things, and I have no idea of value since I've paid very little if anything, and never sold any basket. So besides where and when made, I'd really appreciate any pointers on which if any are better and should be put aside regardless of where it was made.

PA071698.JPG PA071699.JPG PA071700.JPG PA071701.JPG PA071702.JPG PA071705.JPG PA071706.JPG PA071707.JPG

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

3. Jeff Drum

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9 ikebana...flower basket
    8 sweeeet Na curl basket...likely ash...northeast..
    7 same as above...less sweet...but nice..
    5, 4 , 2 .....lids for grain or water baskets...african....Niger..???? or there abouts..
    6 african...

5. komokwa

9...is not steller but may have some age to it....is the liner matal or bamboo?
    7 ....authentic NA.....fer sure
    8...on second look , I'm not sure about the material used....and what looks sweet....is now TMM not traditional.....

Where's... @Taupou ....:happy:

6. Jeff Drum

Thanks! 9 has a metal liner, which I show outside in the last two shots. It looks like a tincan, but is made to fit. Ikebana is Japan, yes? It has the most age of the ones I've shown so far; I would guess mid-20th or so.
    I'll take better pics of 7 and 8 (its dark, will have to be tomorrow). 7 is ash curl only, no metal. 8 has brass pins keeping the rim together, and uses brass round head paper fasteners (like below pic) to keep the handle on, so I assume not traditional even if it was NA made.
    1 I'm pretty sure is african and recent since the tag says "S Muzenda 15 cm" - and I guess Muzenda is an african name. 3 I'm guessing is african also?

Great start, better than I hoped! Get ready for round 2 (need to give my fingers a break first).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. komokwa

Ikebana is Japan, yes?...Yes !
    1950's....maybe somewhat after that...but not new for sure..

brass pins...........oooowwww.....thas not good...

sabre123 likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

2, 4 and 5 are Hausa, from northern Nigeria. 6 is a bread basket from Ethiopia. I agree with komokwa that 7 is probably NA, Great Lakes area. Not sure about 8, though. It looks like it is made with cane/rattan, which would not be traditional.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    anundverkaufen, Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  9. komokwa

neither is the base....but i looked too quicly at first...

10. komokwa

i think 7 is much more eastern than that....

11. 2manybooks

We see similar types here in Wisconsin. I think this style became sort of pan northern woodlands.
    1 and 3 may be sisal, from Swaziland. Not sure, though

12. komokwa

well , it is a popular style....
    do you have white & black ash there?

13. 2manybooks

Y
    Yes, white, black, and green ash throughout the state. Or at least we did before the borer. :(

komokwa likes this.
  14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Could 7 and 8 be Penobscot or Micamac?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  15. komokwa

upload_2019-10-12_1-52-46.jpeg

I'm thinking the more open downturn curl is more Maine...Wabanaki...Passamaquady...or yes Mi'Kmaq....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  16. 2manybooks

You might be right. Given your location you are probably more familiar with things further east.
    I still think #8 is a recent recreation using the same technique, but using reed (reed/rattan/cane - all forms of a vine from Asia). I can see striations along the elements, and somewhat fuzzy edges, which are characteristic of reed. Wood splints are typically smooth, and with crisp edges.

17. komokwa

I can see striations.........me too...
    & don't forget the base...which throws me off too...

18. 2manybooks

Yes, not a traditional base on #8, with that foot.

19. Jeff Drum

Thanks all!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted