Featured Beautiful Goldwork Embroidery Panel

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Graymich64, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Graymich64

Graymich64 Well-Known Member

I found this lovely embroidery panel. It is 32" x 12" and is framed in glass. The fabric looks to be silk. Does anyone know where this is from? Is it Chinese? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks so much! IMG_9032.JPG IMG_9033.JPG IMG_9034.JPG

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

There may be a request for closeups of the stitching, in the meantime, shout out to @Jimmy Lee about identification.

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

4. Graymich64

Here are a few closeups. Thanks! IMG_9035.JPG IMG_9036.JPG IMG_9037.JPG

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

6. Graymich64

Yes, it is so detailed. I can't imagine working on something like this.

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

It is indeed a Chinese example used for decoration dating back to the 19th century, late Qing dynasty. Couching gold is especially popular at that time in China.

10. Graymich64

Thank you for the information. Are they moths and not butterflies? Would they have hung this on the wall or used it on a table?

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Graymich, that is exquisite!

12. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

Butterflies, likely on the wall

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece! I especially like the way the thread mimics iridescence.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have 3 pieces of this same type work that I have been meaning to post for some help. They have tags on the back & one has a paper sticker attached that has "Peoples Republic of China".

I will get photos in a little while & post them later today.

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted