Featured Bedouin or Yemenite Belts? Also, tips on Ethnic jewelry books?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I picked up these two belts today (online), and I'm trying to figure out more about them. The seller said that he acquired them in Pakistan in the 60s, but when I researched them, other similar ones were listed as Yemenite, Bedouin, or Saudi Arabian. I don't know if they're silver and didn't pay too much for them (the verdigris on the last picture makes me a bit uncertain), so I won't be devastated if they aren't silver, but I'm curious to know their origin.

Also, if any of you can recommend books on folk jewelry, I would love to learn more. I am very drawn to folk jewelry, especially belts.

Thank you everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, KSW, reader and 5 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm a beginner with stuff from that part of the world myself, but someone will be along shortly. Some of our European members really know the Middle Eastern bits and bobs.

judy, KSW, reader and 2 others like this.
  3. Barn Owl

I'm very clueless when it comes to it. I have a habit of picking up anything that looks cool and folksy, which is how I've ended up with a large stockpile of modern stuff... :banghead:

judy, KSW, reader and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Barn. Both are Yemeni, well done on the research.:happy: They look too old to be Yemenite, which would be made by Yemeni Jews in Israel. I think these were made in 'the old country', Yemen itself. Probably early 20th century.
    Many Yemeni silversmiths were Jewish, so that could be where the confusion is. They made jewellery for all Yemeni confessions and communities though.
    When it comes to Yemeni jewellery, my favourite is 'Silver Treasures from the Land of Sheba', by Marjorie Ransom, an excellent book.

judy, KSW, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Thank you so much, AJ! I'm glad that I finally found some Yemeni jewelry, because when I first started antiquing, I bought Kuchi jewelry thinking that it was it. Then I bought some low quality pendants in Jerusalem, for actually more each than I purchased these belts for, so I'm very thrilled this.

I'll definitely look that book up!

Also, is it common for Yemeni jewelry to be gold-plated? I own a bracelet with a similar design to the second belt, and it didn't test as silver, but it's gold colored so I'm wondering if that might have affected the results. Also, a while back you replied to another belt thread (https://www.antiquers.com/threads/silver-belt.31038/) and I actually purchased a gold colored belt that looks identical to that one.

judy, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

And I am thrilled for you.:happy: I remember the other ones, but you are learning. The Marjorie Ransom book will help a lot, and soon you'll be telling me what a certain jewel is.:playful:
    Yes, some Yemeni jewellery is gold-plated, and sometimes partially gold-plated, for instance a central filigree panel.

judy, KSW and Barn Owl like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

As you may recall, I bought a copy of that book on your recommendation. I agree, excellent! I haven't used it to identify anything, but it was very interesting to read, with excellent photos as well.

judy, KSW, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. Barn Owl

Now that I know what I'm looking at, I think I might have another piece of Yemeni jewelry in my collection. This was a necklace I bought a while back. It didn't test as sterling.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That one's Indian from the construction; the fabric cord says India.

judy, KSW and Barn Owl like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Yes, I do. I am glad you like it. It is interesting even for someone who doesn't collect jewellery. There is so much information on the country and her experiences with the Yemeni people.

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

As evelyb said, it is Indian. The fabric cord is used a lot in Yemen too, but not with those metal-wrapped ends, that is very Indian. Yemeni neclaces would have silver cones in that place.
    Yemeni cord is often black, btw, Indian cord usually pretty colours, although sometimes black too, just to confuse us.;)

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  12. Barn Owl

Thank you both! And since we're talking about necklaces now, can I get your opinions on this other necklace I purchased recently, which does have metal end caps?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

judy, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

That one is Yemen, my guess early-mid 20th century. The cones could have come from a slightly older necklace. Components were often reused.
    I have its twin.:playful: Which is unusual, because you don't see those ovoid pressed amber beads (faux?) that often in Yemeni jewellery. More common shapes are long with flat ends, round, or square.

14. Barn Owl

Thank you so much! I'd love to see yours.
    Sorry to post so many things to this thread, but if you're willing, I'd love to get you opinion on one more belt, the gold-tone one that reminds me of the belt you had identified as Hadrami in another thread. The seller had described this belt as brass, but it more looks like gold-plated to me.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted