Berkey and Gay Radio Cabinet

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Robert L Feenstra, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Robert L Feenstra

Robert L Feenstra New Member

I'm looking for this cabinet for a radio that I have restored. I have part of the cabinet, but need the doors.

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that could be a hard find.....good luck !!!
    Where ya at ?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Robert. So, the photo in your post is just an example, not yours? I guess we can assume that since the photo shows doors.

I found a thread on this site from 2017 where somebody was asking about a similar cabinet. But it's the whole cabinet, not just the doors. I'm not sure if the person was selling or not.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/identifying-this-berkey-gay-piece.15622/

That person has not logged in on the site since 2017. I see that there are also some links posted in reply to the original question in that thread. Maybe helpful? Not sure. Oh, I see the second link posted is where you got your sample photo.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Excellent find. Maybe radio will meet cabinet.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can see why you'd want to finish that off. Good luck finding the doors; I suspect it will not be easy. You never know though; some upcycler might have a pair laying around.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  6. Robert L Feenstra

Hi all. I joined this site because I somehow discovered a link to the thread Figtree3 mentioned. I rebuilt a Grebe radio in this cabinet about a year ago. the cabinet was literally falling apart. This is not the typical cabinet for this radio and I could never find a picture of it in the radio forums until now. I'm excited cuz I now know what the doors looked like. More interesting to me is to know that the cabinet is a Berkey and Gay. this was one of the larger furniture companies in Grand Rapids, MI back when GR was known as the Furniture City. I live 20 miles from there and have actually been in the re-purposed building. So, at least I now know what I'm looking for thanks to this site!

Here's a couple of pics of my radio in the cabinet and the cabinet before restoration (after a bit of gentle disassembly.) I really need the doors!

Attached Files:

7. Figtree3

Wishing you best of luck in finding the doors!

Ghopper1924, komokwa and i need help like this.
  8. Robert L Feenstra

Yea!!! I found an empty cabinet with doors. I have to ship it from AZ to MI but at least I can complete my radio.

Ghopper1924, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. Figtree3

Congratulations on the find!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Robert L Feenstra

11. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks for letting us know!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Donna Behrendt

Donna Behrendt New Member

Robert I’m looking at a Berkey and Gay radio cabinet with an intact radio. Would you know the manufacturer of the radios B& G used?

13. Figtree3

Welcome to Antiquers, @Donna Behrendt !

It appears that the original poster has not logged in since March 2019. I hope he might still come by to check on his posts occasionally. I tried to tag him in this post but the tag didn't work correctly.

14. Donna Behrendt

Donna Behrendt New Member

I’m hope he does too. Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Robert L Feenstra

I'm here... occasionally! Donna, Berkey and Gay made cabinets for more than one radio company. Mine is a Grebe, and since I started this thread, I also have a Balkite. There were probably others. Often, with a High end cabinet, the radio was upgraded and a new radio installed in the old, fancy cabinet. Because technology was advancing so rapidly, radios became obsolete in a matter of a year or so, just like computers and phones today. I have a 1928 Sparton cabinet with a 1936 McMurdo Silver radio in it. if you could post a picture of what you have, that would be great! I'll check in periodically.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks Robert.

18. Figtree3

Now we can hope that @Donna Behrendt checks back in soon. It has been a few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted