Featured Books and Bookcases

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ghopper1924, Feb 7, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Truly wonderful pieces of art and utility combined. I would give my right arm for the two cases that are together. I have been looking for them for years. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll go in the corner and scream in envy.

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I apologize ahead of time for my grainy pics.

Personally I enjoy barrister stacking bookcases and they work really well in holding my art pottery and various other collections. I have three of them now but I don't have good pics of one and it is amongst all my clutter currently and I cannot easily get to it to take decent photos.

barrister bookcase 2.jpg barrister bookcase.jpg

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Love your bookcases and the contents, Ghopper1924, there is some real old time craftmanship there that you don't find a lot of these days.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

"Personally I enjoy barrister stacking bookcases and they work really well in holding my art pottery and various other collections."

No worries re: graininess. That craftsman bookcase you've got (top) is a tough one to find. I almost never see them....hang on to it.

Love your unit with the leaded glass. I'd like to say that I've got one, but I don't. Another tough find. Maybe I'll happen across a set of 3 someday...yeah, right.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. You've got some beautiful art pottery, and it looks good in those modular units. Thanks for stepping up and sharing! Craftsmanship!!

Christmasjoy, judy, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

What do you think of these? They are for sale near me for a total of $950 for the two.
    [​IMG]

Pat P, Christmasjoy, judy and 5 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

As long as everything's in good order/condition, then that seems very fair to me. Cheers!!

8. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the assurance. I have been wanting to replace a cheaply made lawyers bookcase from the 1920's and a replica Asian cabinet so I have more display area. I've only seen modern oak. I'm waiting to hear back. I'll make sure it's all working when I see them.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That's 475 each. 20% off would be about 375 ea.
    I'd offer 700 or 750 and see what they counter with.

Christmasjoy, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the advice.

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Joe, what do the "labels" (?) say in the back of each section of the bookcases? Are they "maker labels" or furniture-store/seller labels? If they are "maker labels" then who is/are the maker/makers? Just curious.;)

KikoBlueEyes, can you answer the same question as to possible maker of the bookcases you are interested in? Was "maker/manufacturer" listed in the ad for the bookcases? Again, just curious. ;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  12. KikoBlueEyes

[​IMG][​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes, thank you. Do you think the top line on the label perhaps says "Globe Wernicke"?

Kiko, no need to answer. I think I can make out with the last photo that it does say Globe Wernicke.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$950 US....isn't that a lot of money for two very simple cases...??

15. KikoBlueEyes

yes it does.

16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

It is a maker label with model numbers and dimensions I believe. Globe-Wernicke of Cincinnati Ohio is the maker of the one in my 2nd photo and the 1st photo bookcase was made by Gunn Furniture Co. of Grand Rapids Michigan.

More info on the different models sold by Globe-Wernicke found in the following blog which is quite informative.
    https://deepdoodoo.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/globe-wernicke-elastic-bookcases/

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

The going rate seems to be $100-150 per stack in my area of the country. I watched quite a few sell at auction before I purchased mine since I wanted a set in above average to excellent condition with pleasing patina.

Globe-Wernicke is considered the best of the brands at least in my area and thus they realize the most money at auction. Most bidders want well matched 3 or 4 stack bookcases.

The color of the set on the right of your photo looks a bit off in my opinion, perhaps it has been refinished? Are they Globe-Wernicke or another brand, that makes a significant difference. A few weeks ago I saw a Macey stack bookcase sell for $320 for a 4 stack.

18. KikoBlueEyes

According to the seller, they are all original including the finish. He is very clear that they are not a matched pair. What appeals to me is that they are within driving distance (no shipping - just friends); the right height - there is a plate rail in my dining room at 50 inches, so 4 stack are too tall. The next seller has one for $750; the 5 stack are $900. I have been searching on and off for several years. and this is the first time I have seen reasonably priced ones of the right height. I live in southern California where everything is ludicrously expensive.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

20. KikoBlueEyes

great information. Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted