Featured Books and Bookcases

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ghopper1924, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Could well be ghopper. I have a full size barrel desk that is similar as well.

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking ca. 1890 on those cylinder desks.

3. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

That would be my guess as well...Victorian without being too gaudy.

4. Ghopper1924

Newest addition to the family. Made in New York ca. 1880, transitional between Renaissance Revival and Eastlake. The doors alone weigh 50 pounds; it took 3 of us to carry the bookcase (doorless and drawer less) upstairs. Feeling the post-Christmas love.... P1010349.JPG

Pat P, bluumz, SBSVC and 8 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It looks at home right where it is .. LOVELY !!! ... Joy. :)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Lovely furnishings. Have you read all of those books?

8. Ghopper1924

Thanks dude! Strange you should ask that...I was just asking the same question to myself. After looking through the shelves, I"d say I've read 80-90% of them, although in some cases it was decades ago.

So I'm on a campaign to re-read some of the books I've had for awhile. For example, I'm currently re-reading Robertson Davies' 'What's Bred in the Bone,' which I last read in 1985. I recall odd details, but it's been long enough that the book is pretty fresh.

So there's a long answer to your question, which I've been asked numerous times over the course of my life. And here's a short one: "most of them."

Pat P, bluumz, dude and 3 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations to you!

I've read most of the books that I own, although currently my "to read" queue is getting rather large. Several years ago I decided to read books that I had collected for their aesthetic qualities (mostly old books that had nice covers or illustrations). And finished most of those. Some were very good, some just good, and some almost unreadable.

Hadn't thought about going back to read some of the ones that I read many years ago. Nice idea!

Pat P, dude and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

"Nice idea!"

Thanks, and thanks for the kind words! I find it saves money and time, plus....I already know that I like the book! :) :)

Pat P, Figtree3 and dude like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ooooooh, my dream bookcase! (I had to settle for Ikea.:rolleyes:)

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Ghopper1924

"Ooooooh, my dream bookcase! (I had to settle for Ikea.:rolleyes:):

Thank you, Bluumz. It's amazing what cabinet makers could do 140 years ago!

bluumz likes this.
  13. Ghopper1924

A better picture:
    P1010351.JPG

Pat P, Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Those lamps on top of the bookcase are pretty stunning, too!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GHopper, as others have said, they are ALL gorgeous, the the FIRST one takes my breath away!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUNNING!!!!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Aquitaine

I don't just "Like" it......I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

@Ghopper1924

What would happen if you went to an auction with lots of excellent bookcases including a few that you very much wanted for your personal collection.

The bidding is about to start and you look to your left and see @James Conrad on the auction floor intently eyeing your prize, almost caressing it and THEN to your right you see @verybrad in the audience with a very determined look in his eyes sizing you up while alternating his gaze to the bookshelf in question and grasping his bidder paddle intently.

Would the outcome be something like this? Which one is Blondie, Angel Eyes, & Tuco?

Final standoff from The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly attached below. Hopefully it shows up.

19. Ghopper1924

Sadly your photo didn't show up on my computer, but I think I know of the characters in question. Go Sergio Leone! :)

My bet is that James is concentrating on bookcases from the 18th century, so we're outside each other's wheelhouses here. I'll stick with post 1850, thanks.

As for Brad, that may be stickier. I'd hire a ringer to go up and ask him questions about the stylistic features of bookcases a, b, c, and d. That should take awhile. In the meantime I seal the deal on a tripartite breakfront second empire walnut queen bookcase from 1868, put it on my back, and run out the door, carefully loading it while my key fob starts my car remotely so I can drive off, cackling like mad, into the sunset.

Oh, and I'm "The Good," thank you very much. James and Brad can fight it out for the other two titles. :)

Figtree3 and Joe2007 like this.
  20. Ghopper1924

Oh, and thanks Acquitaine! Your comments are appreciated. Long may your "likes" accumulate!

Draft saved Draft deleted