Featured Books and Bookcases

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ghopper1924, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bluumz. They're from France ca. 1900. Allegorical figures executed in spelter holding oil lamps. To me the most amazing thing about them is that they're 3 feet tall. I can't ever remember seeing figural oil lamps of that size, so I had to grab them when I saw them.

bluumz likes this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Great! We have fun here on Antiquers don't we?

I can't seem to link YouTube videos to this site - they work for a second and are gone. Either that or my internet browser isn't displaying them correctly.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Back again! I think we hoard bookcases as much as we hoard books :)

Anyway, here's a Globe Wernicke from ca. 1911. It appears in their 1911 catalog at any rate. Unusual for them in that it's Craftsman and made from walnut rather than their typical oak.

thumbnail.jpg

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like it!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Scrumptious!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've never seen drawer pulls like that before on a Globe Wernicke. I absolutely love stacking barrister bookcases, they are so versatile and easy to store all sorts of items in.

Are those Harry Potter series books on the lowest shelf?

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Yes, they are Harry Potter books. They belong to Ms. Ghopper. Originally they came in a "treasure chest"-type box (still have it, of course :)). They look like first editions, but I don't think they really are. If they WERE, they'd be worth a fortune!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Ghopper,
    I have the same Globe Wernicki book case only mine are mahogany and have 5 sections no drawer. They are just wonderful, wish I had three more.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

9. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

A few pictures of my old paper collection. The book range from the early 16th century until 1750. Most of them are printed in Antwerp.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

Special interest with books covered in medieval or early modern handwritten parchment (disjecta membra).
    IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_E2507.jpg

Neal Andres, Joe2007, SBSVC and 8 others like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Jealous. What an utterly fantastic collection, @Ex Libris. Looks like a considerable investment as well.

Now, you just need some bookcases worthy of them! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted