Featured Breakfast at _____y’s at a thrift store!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 13, 2022.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Selling it would pay for the gas used for certain. These days that's no small feat.

MrNate likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

No, you were right, this is from Liz Taylor’s personal estate, objects owned by her. See the Auction Info page: “Elizabeth Taylor. On offer is a spectacular collection of her iconic fashions, film costumes and accessories, by designers Christian Dior, Edith Head, Gucci, Nolan Miller, Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, Versace, Yves Saint Laurent and more, all worn by the three-time Academy Award-winning actress and humanitarian who dazzled the world with her ravishing beauty, larger than life celebrity persona, and fearless activism in the fight against HIV/AIDS. Highlights of the auction will also include jewelry, wigs, fine/decorative art and household items from her residences around the world, as well as other pieces from her life and career.” https://www.julienslive.com/auctions/info/id/317

I don’t know why they used that “lifestyle of” wording, I assume it was an attempt to be pretentious that failed. Anyway glancing at a few of the other items, there was definitely a premium paid because of her ownership.

Lucille.b, bercrystal and MrNate like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Jeez Louise dude. Finding something Tiffany even not very desirable Crystal seems impossible. The frame section is the one place I always expect I may find some stray silver and never have yet.

I did find a 4-5 pieces of undiscovered sterling flatware in a kitchen drawer insert recently. I almost didn’t check it as you just assume the sale runners and other attendees did but I changed my mind and looked and was rewarded. When that happens I grab a handful of plated stuff with it and just ask for a price on all of it. My first cheap silver in a while.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a very good idea. Mixing the wheat with the chaff so as not to call attention.

Debora

J Dagger, komokwa, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

Precisely. If anyone ever inspects it I make sure to grab few more plated pieces than silver pieces so the odds that they will grab a plated piece to inspect are greater. Usually they stop at one piece if they look at all. So far it hasn’t failed me. It does ping the shoulder with the devil on it a bit but hey……

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do that with jools. Grab a pawful.

7. J Dagger

It for sure is a useful tactic among any small.

MrNate and cxgirl like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Used it today. Bought two necklaces. One was leather with a little bit of sterling. The other.... 8mm coral beads with a 14k clasp. And that clasp is stamped Gump's! $2 each. The lady running the charity shop is an "antiques expert" and had to look up a glass turkey on nest "I think is slag glass." I didn't argue with her, being too busy hustling my silly money retail necklace out the door!

bercrystal, J Dagger and MrNate like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great score Mr Nate:)

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted