Featured Bronze? Brass? LADY BUDDHA STATUE - WHO IS SHE? AGE? INFO?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 15, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

ummm… I guess it does look covered, but there is a hole & I don't see anything + no concrete crumbs fall out like it has in others I've had

2. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was just wondering what made you guess India : )

I haven't yet found this design (w/ the metal sprig support) attributed to any other region so I assumed the differences were due to less detailed workmanship (eg the solid earrings on Journey's statue as opposed to the gauged lobes and hoops that appear universal in paintings of a Dakini ~ irrespective of origin)

I suppose (unless the artist is a forum member) we'll have to settle for conjecture : )

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  3. jsnggltt

Sorry, I should have asked this before, what are the dimensions?

Jivvy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

14.5" tall x 6" wide

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

From the pictures where I see missing paint, I see grey. Don't see how this can anything other than white/pot metal.

But maybe I'm reading the pictures wrong.

ART STATUE BUDDHA LADY 1A_20190815184516942.jpg

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Or recognition of style due to experience.;)

It is quite simple really, you don't even have to know anything about crowns or hairdos, that can be a lot to look into.
    Nepali statues look more like Nepali people, often Newari, with slightly broader faces, often with a rather large squarish forehead. Like this Padmapani:
    [​IMG]

With Tibetan and Sino-Tibetan statues the faces are generally even more square, with the Sino-Tibetan faces often having a tendency for chubbier cheeks.;)

Indian statues look more like Indian people. They have more oval faces with more rounded foreheads and long, thin noses. Like this Parvati:
    [​IMG]

About only finding the plant to support the raised knee on Nepali statues, you won't find many supported Dakini statues online anyway. Antique Dakinis rarely have that support. They are much better quality, artist made and bronze.

But there are Asian sites selling modern mass produced statues, made in different Asian styles. No doubt journey's can be found on one of those, although probably misrepresented, they will throw any Goddess or mythical being's name around.

You called the person who made journey's an artist, but I would rather call him a maker. I hope you can see the difference with the bronzes I posted.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

8. Any Jewelry

I tried to think of another way, but couldn't find it.:sorry:
    Let's just say it is my love of handmade Hindu and Buddhist bronzes and authenticity that motivates me to defend the real thing. Sorry journey.:sorry:
    But as I said, and Gerspee confirmed, there will be a market for this one.:)

(Did I do better this time?:shame:)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  9. journeymagazine

No worries Any Jewelry - I get 50 "no's" for every "yes" when selling & probably even more "factory art" & "mass produced" than "home run!" here, so it doesn't hurt my feelings - it's a learning experience.
    Besides, for $12.95 I am sure I'm not going to lose money on it! :)

10. Any Jewelry

I am absolutely sure you will make a nice profit.:happy:

11. jsnggltt

That's would still qualify as conjecture ; ) and if we were discussing the origin of a handmade "artisan" bronze the general rules you point out would make excellent sense.. but are you're proposing that the "maker" (as you label the person) would have felt confined by regional norms and if so why wouldn't they have chosen a regionally normative statue to copy?

12. jsnggltt

What I have come to understand is this: The fact that poorly skilled "makers" produce inexpensive versions of the things we love (for the less discerning or those w/ less disposable incomes) is not an insult of those things. At it's most base it is still a gateway and at it's finest it is an aspiration.

Cheers!

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

My Two Cents FWIW....
    When it comes to items of a religious nature, especially, I think it more depends on the representation and intentions of the maker.
    Clearly some “artifacts” are made with the intent to deceive. This would be quite insulting to that religion.
    If is just an affordable representation of a item, then the person interested can make their decision based on that.
    I think AnyJewely is trying to educate people as to the differences. :)

14. Any Jewelry

I am, thank you for understanding, inh.:kiss:

@jsnggltt , I don't remember using the word insult with regard to mass production in general or this statue in particular. But I sense some irritation, and apologize if my explanations made you feel insulted in any way, that was not my intention. They were only intended as explanations, for any reader to take or leave.

I don't think artists or makers are confined by their traditional styles, those are just part of the world they live in. If there is any feeling of confinement it could possibly be about the iconography. But none of the Hindu or Buddhist artists I ever spoke to, mentioned a feeling of confinement in that sense. I think they regard that as tradition as well. But of course that latest part is conjecture, as you would probably put it.:playful: I can say for sure they were all very proud to continue their traditional art and did so with great respect to the sacred content of their art.

Journey, thank you for being so nice about it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  15. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think your explanations made complete sense and were easy to understand .. Thanks AJ .. Joy. :):):)

16. silverthwait

Methinks jg up there is perhaps channeling his use of the English language through Wm. F. Buckley. "Normative?"

17. Jivvy

I may be alone, but I was okay with both sides of this conversation. In my experience, even two smart experienced people will not always agree.

It happens in science -- where there are measurements and statistics and formulae and charts and math.

Surely, it can also happen in art.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  18. silverthwait

A reasonable but disagreeing topic can be explored without resorting to sneers and slurs. (Perhaps not by Me, but some people. :) )

19. Jivvy

I didn't see sneers and slurs, but that's one of the things that makes the internet so interesting/confounding/exciting/volatile: so many ways to read a sentence.

20. Any Jewelry

There seems to be a problem with the term experience. Don't ask me why, this forum is full of experience, which is one of the reasons I came here in the first place. None of us who have experience in their respective fields can erase that experience. Nor would we want to, for that matter.
    jsn's experience is different to mine, so things concerning Asian spirituality and tradition are difficult to explain.

Anyway, it seems to be shoot AJ week (don't mean you Jivvy :), it just happens to be in the same reply).
    I have done what I felt I had to and apologized to jsn for any hurt I may have caused inadvertently.
    Journey has the information he needs.
    And I am not really in the mood to wait around for more 'shoot AJ', so I feel a strong urge to 'wash my hair' now.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted