Featured Brush McCoy Pottery Jardiniere & Pedestal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Dec 7, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Understandable and that's where Weller gets tricky. Most collector consider this shape Ardsley only if it is glazed likes SIS's example. If it's glazed like the OP's example most Ardsley collectors wouldn't consider it Ardsley and wouldn't be interested. So how to define Weller? By the shape or the glaze? There is no real right answer so collectors tend to ID by glaze. It comes up with other Weller lines like Roma and Flemish. Both lines share some of the same shapes so to distinguish identical shapes the collectors identify it by the glaze.

It also occurs with other potteries too but not usually to the same extent as it does with Weller. Roseville's Ivory lines use shapes from a number of different patterns but if you find it in white Roseville collectors consider it either Ivory I or Ivory II.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The OP's is not Ardsley. The butterflies are different; the leaves are different.

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I see! Thank you, janetpjohn, I think I'm caught up now. Did anyone see the jardiniere and pedestal on pg. 107 of the Huxfords' Weller book? It's not the same shape but the color palette is similar.

Bronwen and dude like this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I sincerely appreciate the thoughtful recap. If I understood you correctly, this is the gist of your opinion: Indeed a Wellar Butterfly Pattern Jard worth 1-3 bills (depending on who actually made the blended-glaze pedestal, which is tough to determine).

Bronwen likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, but since the pedestal and jard don't go together I wouldn't sell them that way. And since we can't positively ID the jard as Weller you should list it with that qualifier. Even though we can't confirm the jard is Weller I still think it might be worth $100. It can be difficult to sell just a pedestal. A jard can sell on its own but a pedestal is another matter because it's so difficult to find a matching jard. Many pottery collectors (myself included) have a few pedestals lying around hoping that a matching jard shows up one day. I hesitate to suggest a price for the pedestal since we haven't identified a possible maker.

wiscbirddog and Bronwen like this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Okay, got ya. I have another jard or two around. I think I listed them way back but got no comments that identified them. They're not as colorful as the one in this thread. Maybe I'll list them again in a day or two in case they match your pedastals or other members.'

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Strictly personal taste & opinion: if I were buying, I would want the two together. Even if not an actual match, I think the pedestal complements the pot well & having the pedestal means you don't have to find surface space for the jardiniere, it comes with its own.

dude likes this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The jard is in the Weller book, as I pointed out waaay back there.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted