Brutalist Silver pendant Signed ART

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Feb 24, 2018.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hi all, first off, is 'brutalist' the right term for this piece? It does appear to be sterling, although it is just marked 'silver' on the back. It is also marked ART inside a shield shaped cartouche. I'm really not sure about the black cabochon; I think it might be glass...thought onyx at first or maybe obsidian? The white spots are reflections. It is about 4" long by 1 1/4" at widest point. I need help with this piece, the search term ART is not helpful. Anyone familiar with this maker? Thanks for looking!!! IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4131.JPG

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Brutalist. And a nice chunk of it.;)
    There is another mark below the shield shape, looks like the first part is a 3:
    upload_2018-2-24_13-27-34.jpeg

Did you test the stone? It could be obsidian.

wenna likes this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I think that other mark is just a failed 'silver' stamp like the one above the ART mark. How does one test for obsidian?

4. Any Jewelry

Obsidian is 6 on the Mohs scale (diamond is 10). So you should have 6 lights on your tester, the same as for instance turquoise.
    Onyx is 4.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, I don't have one of those testers yet. I guess I'll have to break down and get one. The surface, even though it is very shiny and looks smooth, has tiny pits in it. Also some very fine scratches (tool marks from shaping it maybe?).

6. Any Jewelry

wenna likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder if we're using the words 'obsidian' & 'onyx' the same way. Obsidian is volcanic glass, brittle, easily fractured, & , according to my mineral guide, 5 - 5.5 on the Moh's scale. Black onyx is chalcedony dyed to that color; same guide puts it at 6.5 - 7 on the scale. (Same guide puts turquoise 5 - 6.) The more durable black onyx is used in jewellery so much more than the fragile obsidian, odds are the stone is the former, particularly if it is opaque seen from the edge.

wenna likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Too many people are confused with the Mexican onyx/travertine with a hardness of 4-5 on the mohs scale which is not real onxy.

wenna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted