Featured Buffet... how old / what area is this from?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AVP, Jan 9, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, It's possible!

i need help likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You can call it what you like, but it won't make the emblem on that sideboard a Tudor rose or anything remotely resembling one.

The symbolism of the Tudor rose was that it replaced those of the two great houses of York and Lancaster, as in the eponymous wars of the Roses. Six monarchs in total if you count Lady Jane Grey. Although it can be argued that James VI was Tudor by descent.

They were Welsh originally, spelled Tydder or similar.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

James rewriting history.
    It is such an important symbol, it is a pity if it isn't recognised as such.

4. Ownedbybear

Indeed. It was symbolic of the end of a long war and a unification.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  5. James Conrad

6. Ownedbybear

That isn't a Tudor rose either. It has six petals. A Tudor rose has five.

The "rose" on that sideboard, of course, not only has the wrong number of petals, it's a double layer bloom which isn't even a rose. And the sideboard is Dutch, in any event.

Amazon is not an authoritative source. That company also imports stuff from China.

As to travelling the world, I've done a fair bit of that. But I'd not dream of telling someone in another nation that they were wrong about a rather important national symbol from their own country. The Tudor rose is the symbol of England. If you go to Hampton Court, say, it's all over it.

Admitting you made a bit of a whoopsie is bit of an adult thing to do.

7. Any Jewelry

Agree, and it is not like Antiquers to accept what an Amazon seller says as proof.
    Or tell them lies about the history of their ancient language.
    Dutch is not German, it is in fact an older language. The Dutch never spoke German, they spoke Dutch and still do. Not even the German occupation and cultural suppression during WWII could change that.
    The member who echoed those German supremacist thoughts may not have realised the full extent of what he was doing (know your history!), but that kind of 'cultural cleansing' is not only extremely offensive, it is punishable by law in many countries.
    The German supremacist statement is still on the forum without any apology or even a simple rectification by said person. It goes against 7 of the forum rules (politics), and 2, cyber bullying.

Let's respect each other and each other's cultures, and not be out to hurt people, insult a cultural symbol, or deny a nation's identity.
    Belgian, our valued neighbours.:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    BoudiccaJones and Ownedbybear like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Whoops, indeed Belgium. A total brain fart on my part. I've been to Mechelen/Malines, lovely city.

I speak German. An entirely different grammar, structure, sound and so much more from Dutch. Never got round to learning Dutch or for that matter, Flemish, although I can make sense of a fair bit of both written languages and sometimes spoken. Same with Swedish. German grammar is far harder. Too many words for "the" by far.

No modern day German unless they were AFD would dream of displaying nativist supremacy. I admire that the honesty with which they teach their history. Other countries, mine included, could and should learn from that.

I did a fair bit of business in the Netherlands at one point. Used to howl with laughter at the fluency in English of my customers there, especially the motorway curses. Badge of honour. And a very familiar often filthy sense of humour.

I strongly believe that if you don't speak at least one other language than your birth one, it diminishes greatly any hope of understanding the differences in the world. And in any event, languages are fun.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

:muted::hilarious:
    It is said only the Dutch and the Danes have a sense of humour similar to the English.
    The Danes can be hilarious, their humour is dry as a bone.

10. Ownedbybear

Oh, very true. I've had conversations with Danes which were hysterical, and totally misunderstood by non Brits listening in. They've that lovely sour turn, straight face.

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It's very easy to fall into lumping different countries together, also easy to say what's the big deal when a mistake is made about a symbol when the subject is unfamiliar the the speaker. We all do it at some time I am sure.

I was telling my SIL about a trip I had taken to Ireland, I then told her DH and I want to take a trip to Scotland. Her reply was "Why go there, Ireland and Scotland are the same thing."

After I stopped looking at her like she grew a second head I pointed out I could say the same thing about Austria and Hungary (DH's family came from Austria to the US in 1950). Then she got it, but of course she wouldn't admit to me ;)

Any Jewelry and Ownedbybear like this.
  12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Looks like we have a "War of the Roses - Part Two" happening here...
    Back to the buffet, I see a definitive Arts and Crafts style, in the Tudor Revival subset..( in the US, anyway..). Some fondly call it the "Fairy Tale" style. Based on that, I agree with @Any Jewelry, it's from the 1930s-ish. I love it, BTW!

Firemandk and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

There's also the little matter of the sea that separates Scotland from Ireland,too. Wars have resulted.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I think I said that of the one inh posted, which is a really nice piece too. The 'Danish' Belgian buffet.:joyful:
    The OP's is 1960s imo.:)

Ownedbybear likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

If you ever did, I am sure you were never nasty about it.:)
    Some members are, either because they don't want to admit they are wrong and feel 'cornered' by the truth, or because they feel better about themselves by posting something derogatory about someone else's country or identity. This needs to stop imo, especially the last category. It is not only intentionally hurtful, so against forum rules, it also reflects badly on the forum as a whole. It makes us all look like a bunch of ignorant 19th century bigots.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  16. James Conrad

Authoritarians never believe they're authoritarians, everyone must submit to one idea or opinion (theirs) and, if someone offers a different opinion they must be silenced or reeducated and submit to the “correct” and only opinion allowed.
    I have no plans now or ever to submit to authoritarians on this forum, deal with it.

17. Ownedbybear

This isn't about opinion it's about fact, be that Tudor rose or language.

And insulting an entire nation is utterly unacceptable.

You were wrong. A real man would have said that and moved on, not tried to justify the mistake.

This is why you got blocked from facebook groups.

Darkwing Manor and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Sounds like you are describing the person who claimed that the Dutch spoke German until the 18th century.
    And that we in the south of The Netherlands speak dialects which "are already tending to high german". Which we don't, of course, since we speak a Western Frankish type of Dutch closely related to Holland Dutch. In fact Dutch as we know it is mostly based on our type of Dutch and Holland Dutch, with some Western (=Dutch) Saxon elements thrown in.
    People in the southeastern panhandle of the Netherlands speak Limburg-Ripauric, btw, which is a different language from both mainstream Dutch and German,

That same person said in a very authoritarian way, and with caps:
    "CASE CLOSED!" after he had spouted this nonsense, which was not in any way fact based.
    Oh, wait a minute, that was you, James. Here it is:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/old-trunk-chest-how-old.53461/page-2#post-2730246

When I presented the real evidence, including a timeline of Old German which showed it came into being two centuries after Old Dutch, you put me on ignore. I wouldn't 'obey' your authoritarian order.
    As if you block the truth, it doesn't exist. Very post-truth, but at the same time very unlike this forum where most of us aim to find the truth.

So in my opinion, you should look at your own behaviour before you even think of calling anyone else authoritarian.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  19. Ownedbybear

I'd missed the bit about my Huguenot ancestors speaking German. (!)

As to weird dialects, Cajun and Appalachian can be fairly impenetrable, as can the Amish and other variants. The fascination of language.

Reading your quoted passage, aj, I'm understanding more of it from the words which resemble Old English than the ones which faintly resemble German. I did a bit of Old Engish years ago, the linkages are fascinating.

Shall we talk Langue d'Oc versus Langue d'Or and the roots of Catalan now? ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Agree, when I first read Old English, it was almost like Dutch! And even more so if you don't pick and choose words or short phrases which could bear some resemblance to German (or Danish, Norwegian, Swedish), but take a piece of text.

My father could have a conversation with Danish people by just speaking the dialect of his hometown of Groningen, in the north of the Netherlands. If you pronounce Danish placenames in 'Gronings', you get them right too.

The fact is, all Germanic languages are related, but Germanic doesn't mean Germany.:rolleyes:
    Germany is just a name for a country with a very mixed population, including a lot of Celts, just like France is. The name France is taken from the Franks, even though the homeland of the Franks was in the Low Countries.
    And Provençal, of course.
    You wouldn't believe, with my very scant knowledge of Provençal I could read St Francis' 'Canticle of the Sun' in the original Umbrian dialect.;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    BoudiccaJones and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted