Featured C. Benolt oil painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Russell galloway

Russell galloway New Member

This painting is one of my favorites and it is a vintage signed original with the raised 3D effect and the large 3ft x 4ft of tropical fish . There are numbers of similar tropical fish paintings by C.benolt online but there size very from 10inch x 12inch and all the way to 29x36 and lots of dolphin paintings with the same characteristics going for 60.00 to 1300.00 but nobody I have spoken to by phone or online can give me a educated guess of what mine is worth some say it's only worth 200.00 If I'm lucky because that's what a smaller different type of painting by him sold for so that's all mine could be possibly worth and others saying you need to find an expert on the subject because they flat out don't know . I have had horrible luck with free online appraisers doing no more research on the painting other than completed eBay listings and a few different Auction House Records .I understand that those methods of research are useful in determining a ballpark figure on some artists paintings but not a true appraisal and not always all that can be done to find out how much an item is worth

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Russell galloway

You can find the website by doing a Google search of: C benolt tropical fish paintings value or Charles Redmond Benolt tropical fish at instappraisel.com and see the comment. I think that site should verify its comments and message Before posting them especially from a member. His claim is still unverified and no more than a tall tail I have contacted the site with numerous emails leaving my info and contact information and nobody has gotten back to me it's been a week so far

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

4. Russell galloway

Thank you verybrad member that is the first example of a C benolt tropical fish paintings that sold for a decent amount. That painting is smaller and has less detail then the one I'm inquiring about but at least there is proof of his work selling for more than 200.00 dollars I don't know why some people feel the need to embellish stories about paintings the supposedly have and appraised for mind blowing amounts. There is an C benolt of tropical fish 36x48 posted by member komokwa at fineartamerica.com that I find far less impressive but the same size not for sale but listed value 1000.00 and you can by copies postcards and different novelties of the painting.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. Russell galloway

Thank you member karidinalisimo I completely agree with you on that I think the claims made by kennith_1974_02 are false and fiction as a few of you put it i just stated what was posted on instappraisel.com. by a member I am starting to think he must have added a 0 to that number because 14000 unrealistic when 1400 might be more along lines

7. Russell galloway

Can you tell me the appraisal company that appraised your benolt . I have a C. Benolt also a 36x48 vintage original signed oil on canvas with the raised painting 3d effect of tropical fish. All information pertaining to i have found claims it's also a rare painting of his because of its size and characteristics .I need an appraisal by someone familiar with his work and the rarity values . Any help pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated .

komokwa likes this.
  8. Russell galloway

yes that painting sold for 250 it's much smaller not nearly as well done and quite Bland compared to the one I have mine's larger has more detail and it is either the original or one of The Originals that he has if you simply look at my painting and look at the one that's over 250 it's apples and oranges I'm thinking I can get it appraised two up to about $12,000 that doesn't mean I could sell it for that but I do think I could sell it for over 1500 I live in Florida near the beach best place in the world to sell and pay in like that

9. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I don’t see any point appraising it. Just try to sell it. Hope you get that $1500.

10. Mike Chen

Mike Chen New Member

11. K lovéll

K lovéll New Member

Hi I bought a oil on canvas by beholt in 2002 at Stratford upon Avon university art fair i presumed he was a student there. Some suggest he was from USA but the artist c benolt with same signature was in UK in 2002 and did not seem American. It's a raised oil on canvas

12. K lovéll

K lovéll New Member

Hi c benolt was definately in the UK in 2002 as I bought an oil from him in 2002 at Stratford upon Avon UK university student arts fair. It has identical signature as your sunflowers c.benolt. I paid £15 For it back then . Some say he is from America but I don't remember him being American.

13. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

I had one I recently donated to the Rehab store. I tried selling mine. But being in the southeast, there wasn't much interest in the pic. Another point is the research I did on the artist, he apparently worked out of Florida?... The back of my painting said "Hecho en Mexico" So I am figuring there was also a painting factory in Mexico, making these things too. I never saw any reference to him working out of Mexico. Mine was estimated to be of around $300 value.

14. Coldwindtx

Coldwindtx New Member

I picked up my C. Benolt painting at a starving artist sales in southern New Mexico about 10 years ago....I think I paid about $10 for it and there were plenty more by him at the sale.

15. Coldwindtx

Coldwindtx New Member

I picked up my C. Benolt painting at a starving artist sales in southern New Mexico about 10 years ago. It had some southwestern pottery in it...I enjoyed the painting, but I think this guy puts out lots of paintings. I think I paid about $10 for it and there were plenty more by him at the sale.

16. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

I posted one very similar... We tried selling it, had one person interested. I was asking $300.00 He was a artist out of Florida. Did lots of southwest, dolphins and sunflowers. We liked the painting when we had a southwest, country theme sunroom. Ultimately gave it to a Rehab store... See Aug 1, 2017 post in this list.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!!! ebay has become SO NOT HELPFUL in showing you anything you link to there on their site!!!!! Bummer.......guess they don't want anyone browsing there...

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  18. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Aquitaine , verybrad's eBay link was posted over 18 months ago.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yep, I STILL don't REMEMBER TO tune in to the posting date until AFTER I've posted...GROAAAAN!!:wacky::wacky: But thanks for the reminder......someday, it might even help!!!

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  20. girandres1

girandres1 New Member

Nice Painting, I recently purchased this Benolt for $35. It is 60" across or 36h x 48w. I thought it was beautiful. Any idea how much it can be worth? Not much to read about the artist online.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/D424Lip8ADzcsLCC7

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted