Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

LOL!

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Posted her on the finds thread. For $4, I couldn't leave her. She goes into my beautiful face category. Maybe Ceres? Maybe Victorian? C-clasp. You guys got the cameos, so beautiful all of them! I love that habille cameo with the hair ornament. cameo $4 (479x640).jpg
    cameo $4 back.jpg

Houseful, BMRT, bluumz and 3 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The shape of the metal on the back seems very unusual!

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No grain stalks. The default ID for clothed figures wearing a diadem but without other attributes is Juno/Hera. This one looks very young for the matriarch of Olympus.

Much newer hinge. She looks mid-20th century to me.

It is unusual. Gives cameo good sturdy support.

BMRT and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks. She is a C clasp, and her nose isn't quite a Roman nose, so she is newer. The clasp is weird in that it drags downward.

6. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

While online searching I found this necklace and at $10 it seemed an easy gamble especially since it looked attractive.

Does this look like glass, ceramic or hardstone to everyone? No indicator from the seller on what the metal is either. They frankly said they don’t know what any of it is made of. F3CF4CFD-03CB-4194-8224-F1A2C3B11362.jpeg 46B65C9B-E115-4261-80D4-BB78E8F51BC2.jpeg 242D0603-8837-4D63-8411-3A597553901A.jpeg Of all the sellers photos this last one was the clearest. The flash ate everything else :(

Bronwen, Houseful and cxgirl like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

is that a Coro mark on the left hand side?

Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@Marko
    @Figtree3
    @Bronwen

I, too, thought the back on Marko's cameo was quite unusual... and now, here's another!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KSW, Xristina, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. BMRT

I have not a clue. That picture was the only backside one. I guess I’ll know when it arrives in a week or so!

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ooh, well spotted! That's what it looks like to me, too. I googled Coro cameo dove and confirmed it. Sorry, can't post a link right now, the work computer doesn't let me view pinterest.

EDIT: Just want to say that it's very pretty!

KSW, Xristina, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  11. BMRT

No worries, I googled it too and the image that came up on the pinterest link is dead on! Only difference is the bits of brown/cream in spots... maybe a plastic?

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Quite probably. But if so, it's a good imitation.
    Looking forward to seeing it when it arrives. :)

KSW, BMRT, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

14. Bronwen

KSW and BMRT like this.
  15. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

She's my latest addition to my collection.. the clasp is broken, but I like it anyway.. some kind of wood.. I love cameos made of unusual materials.. :)
    IMG_8022-001.JPG IMG_8023.JPG IMG_8024.JPG

Figtree3, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

She photographs more like Vulcanite or similar, but if you're sure she's wood, could be the figure, which is a separate piece from the background, is bois durci.

BMRT, KSW and kyratango like this.
  17. Bronwen

@bluumz

Wedgwood basalt Meleager 1A.jpg

It's interesting that my camera sees it this way. To the eye it looks like ordinary opaque black basalt ware. The reverse is convex. Handle is base metal & a bit squashed. This is Meleager with the Calydonian Boar.

bluumz, Figtree3, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  18. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Vulcanite is early plastic, isn't it ? She's doesn't feel like plastic and the figure it's separate from the background (she wiggles a little bit).. "bois durci" is a new term for me and especially in relation to cameos.. off to do my homework, thank you ! :);)

BMRT, KSW, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I should learn that it's not a good idea to catch up on this thread whilst drinking coffee, I just nearly choked!

Marko, bluumz, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  20. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I had an old family mourning brooch that was the exact same back as the square one. It had black onyx set in the front framing a piece of crystal with hair braided behind it. It was lost due to theft but I have a vivid memory of it same clasp and shape. The glass or crystal had easily come out when the braids moved because the interior was hollow. I never wore it because of that and it was stolen before I brought it to repair. I do have 2 cameos I would love for you to look at. I will try posting full pics today is my first day,

Draft saved Draft deleted