Featured Carved wooden figure- comments

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Boland, May 21, 2024.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:playful:
    That is a compliment to your excellent knowledge.:)

I avoided being tagged by posting my disclaimer.:D

komokwa, 2manybooks and Boland like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

C0B6440E-72E4-4899-900F-B176F90611CE.jpeg 847488AD-BFF8-4F65-8B80-03396E6B92CD.jpeg 5E55DD23-F982-4ADB-8449-9A355B521F14.jpeg 60BC7F17-529C-45DB-8962-E1DDC9E15079.jpeg D15B73B7-6A56-428B-BCDE-C4C88AFCAEC5.jpeg
    Many thanks anyway for taking a look and for replying. If you don’t know and can’t find a close comparison then maybe just a unique ‘once-off’ personal item? (as Komono mentioned) Anyway its an interesting little item. Any guesses or estimate as to possible age? Please see additional photos attached.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Correct. A highly valued opinion!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting observation that. I was thinking it was to maybe show/highlight some type of headdress (or part thereof) Didn’t consider it could be for hanging. Interesting to think about and speculate.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

@2manybooks
    Any new ideas/thoughts perhaps? Thanks

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I found some Janus head carvings from Asmat, West Irian (Indonesian part of New Guinea). No idea if yours is from Asmat, but worth looking into.
    Double face is another search term.

Boland likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you. Appreciate that. I will give it another go. Does it look like a possible antique to you?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's possible......that cord...looks old.

Boland likes this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed. Thanks for the reply.

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I really have no clue about the origin of this piece.

One thing I find curious about it is the orientation of the wood. With a small cylindrical piece, I would expect it to be made from a single branch or small log, in which case there would be evidence of the center of the branch/log in cross section, and a series of growth rings. On this piece there is a definite grain visible, with a series of parallel lines showing on most surfaces. It is more like a piece of quarter sawn lumber, which I just find odd.

upload_2024-5-24_18-56-41.png
    https://www.horizon-custom-homes.com/QuarterSawnLumber.html

11. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I agree with your comment here @2manybooks. One possible explanation would be that the carving came from a larger tree 'round' and therefore would be an older, more mature tree. This is what I was clumsily trying to say earlier in this thread.

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted