Featured Chest - William and Mary?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Apr 15, 2021.

1. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

795E9E65-67E1-4E39-89EC-30A927C5C507.jpeg With apologies, I present the Malm.

Tanya, James Conrad and KSW like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Crikey, not been to Ikea in a while; wood chip, cardboard and plastic film have gone up in price!

Any Jewelry, NewEngland, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry but :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.
    I’ll have the other one any day!. Bargain :)

James Conrad, mark737 and Ce BCA like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agree

KSW likes this.
  5. mark737

@James Conrad I was watching this chest that just sold a few minutes ago at an auction in Austin for $800. It was described as: "English William and Mary oak chest of drawers, 17th/ 18th c., two-board top, two short drawers over three long drawers, all with geometric paneled drawer fronts, rising on ball/ bun feet, approx 37.25"h, 39.5"w, 22"d Start Price: $500.00" AAGchest.jpg

6. James Conrad

Yes, English being the keyword there price-wise. The population of America in 1700 was about 250,000 people, in the UK about 8 million.
    So the main thing there is, early American furniture that survives is very rare & very expensive, it's not rare in England or expensive, relatively speaking.

mark737 likes this.
  7. James Conrad

OTOH, wood being organic & perishable, if you go back a bit in time to the late medieval period, early European furniture can get pricey in a hurry.
    Here is an English "Aumbry" or "Livery" cupboard (medieval pie/food-safe)
    C. 1520 for sale at 30,000 GBP or $41,000. USD

Capture-One-Session1764-1 (1).jpg

i need help, KSW and mark737 like this.
  8. mark737

Love the carvings. It would be interesting to know all the people who've owned it the past 500 years.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    James Conrad, Ce BCA and KSW like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be something if you could get a kind of spy-cam footage from the piece throughout it's history.

KSW and James Conrad like this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The really sad thing is that I could walk straight past that at a car boot sale without looking sideways at it. Are there any more photos?
    Note to self to learn more about furniture.

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/antique/henry-viii-oak-carved-food-cupboard/
    LOL, Here is the link, dealer in Devon. Somehow I doubt you would see one of these at a car boot sale (guessing similar to garage sale here) but, you might see a later repro of one.

i need help likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You never know!

13. James Conrad

i need help and KSW like this.
  14. James Conrad

I don't know but I would guess, genuine pieces of this period furniture would be considered the "Holy Grail" among early furniture collectors in Europe as most of it is in museums.

i need help and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You hear of things being found in charity shops and car boot sales and being taken to the Antiques Roadshow so I’ll keep my eyes open. Just be prepared for the giggles when I present my ‘treasure’ to you, especially if I’ve hauled home a load of firewood:hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted