Featured Chinese carved wood lacquered warriors - Please help identify their age

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by avant, Dec 5, 2018.

1. avant

avant Member

I don't think this is a koummya dagger, although there is quite some variation of the khoummya within Morocco. If the stones are glass, then it is indeed unlikely to be a classical Omani piece since they would normally use semi-precious stones. I still think that this is from somewhere on the Arabian Peninsula, there is a lot of variation among tribal weaponry, i.e. very loosely connected to a nation state.
    Here is also a good book that might help:
    https://www.amazon.com/Arms-Paladin...Wagner+Jr.+Collection+of+Fine+Eastern+Weapons

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I said:
    Don't worry, we all misread posts sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is from the same 'family' as the Omani al-Ganobi khanjar.
    Again, a central ridge over the blade, which S Wolf's doesn't have.:( And no dainty floral finial.;)

Daggers are tricky, not just in handling them, but also in identifying them.
    I come across them regularly because of my interest in both keris and ethnic jewellery. They are, after all, just like jewellery, more part of adornment, status and identity, than for actual use as weapons.
    But that doesn't mean I know them all, it just means I know how tricky identification can be.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  5. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Yep, not chess pieces. These are commonly found in Chinese temples in Macao and Hong Kong. They might be anywhere from 40-50 years old to 100+ I think.

avant and i need help like this.
  6. avant

avant Member

Thanks very much, JayBee!

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted