Featured Chinese women on plaques - Many questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 15, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thank you Silver Wolf. Are you familiar with the technique used at all? Kiko

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

uhmm no,never saw one with three dimension effect on it.do you bought them for high price kiko?

3. KikoBlueEyes

Silver Wolf. No. They were in a thrift shop. The price was fairly high for them of $95 USD for the four. The frames themselves were clearly of higher quality and not what I've seen for inexpensive import items. Kiko

4. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Figtree3, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

judy, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  6. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

these are the four most beautiful ladies in china history, their names are on the plague. in this case, it is not related to 4 seasons as you see no winter cloth. i guess late 20th. worth something

7. KikoBlueEyes

So @Bronwen was right about these being the four beauties and I was wrong about the four seasons. I really appreciate you taking the time to look at these. Is Bronwen on the right track about which ladies are which? Please see her post above.[​IMG]

8. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

yes, Bronwen is right about their names. Based on the order of the first 4 photos, they are Xi Shi, Zhaojun, Guifei, and Diaochan. If my guess was right that they are porcelain and about 20 to 30 years old, they are very well made, and have value to collect.

9. KikoBlueEyes

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for clarifying this. I'll have to make some notes on the back. I am pleased to hear they are porcelain. I have just the place to display them.

judy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

You get two gold stars according to @lpan9.

judy, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Considering that I know nothing about Chinese decorative items, I was very pleased to have lpan9's endorsement. But I do think that in all examples found, Zhaojun is dressed more warmly than the others.

I had meant to ask you if the plaques were porcelain. The frames look very solidly built, good for heavy contents. :)

judy, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

They are very heavy, not like a ceramic tile in a frame. I weighed a framed ceramic tile (not the same weight in frame) - 11 OZ and one of the pieces at 1 lb 7 OZ. I tapped it and it clunked though and didn't ring like a bell, as @Phaik Hooi post suggested but maybe that's because it is imbedded in a frame. It is clearly very white which points to porcelain but the ceramic tile is too. IMG_1677.jpg

judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

'Porcelain' is a subcategory of 'ceramic'; it uses more finely grained clay that something like stone ware. The clay itself does not have to be white for a finished ceramic piece to look white.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

More information. I love it. Thank you Bronwen and for all your terrific help with these plaques. It makes having them all the richer for the experience.

BoudiccaJones, judy and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

I'm pleased that you will enjoy them in your own environment. Maybe, while looking for something else altogether, we will stumble into more info on this particular set. :)

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a lower case l not an i. I keep making the same mistake
    lpan not ipan

judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

oops. Thanks

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

I'm with you. Sounds like a deal.

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Yes, you observed very carefully. The title for this and other Zhaojun's paintings is almost always "Zhaojun going out of the great wall", that means she is going to the north side of the great wall, and all Chinese think it is cold there, so she must wear warm.

Draft saved Draft deleted