Featured Connecticut Blanket Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Aug 2, 2017.

1. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I think it's been quite some time since his last post....or that of his caretaker.

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Where did MaryRH get off to, I am anxious to see her pic!

Meanwhile, getting back to blanket chest that started thread, it was restored (mostly lid which was warped) sometime in the 19th century. They put a coat of shellac over the entire chest which has yellowed & become dingy with dirt, especially at bottom drawer (hard to see in pic) but it's very dirty shellac, trust me. I took some solvent (alcohol) & cleaned a small portion at arrow & i think it looks better, thinking of removing this layer of shellac entirely.
    Should I?

Inkedseymour (1)_LI.jpg

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can see the grunge from here. If you have a go at it, go at it carefully.

4. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I came across this thread searching for the last thing said about Mansons. I really hope he's okay.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking he's still being chased by a troupe of belly dancers, or abducted by aliens or something. Unless the boardies' cats all got together and batted him under a couch.

6. James Conrad

7. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

Yeah, he just faded away there, not a good sign i would think but no one knows for sure where he got off too that i am aware.

Ghopper1924 and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

Saw this chest when it was sold in New Hampshire, I thought it looked nice with the historical surface. just my 2cents
    https://northeastauctions.com/produ...anket-chest-with-drawer-probably-connecticut/

10. James Conrad

That's my chest!
    Yeah well, the shellac/varnish clear coat over the chest is yellowish at the top but, as you go down towards the feet it is very dirty, filthy you might say which is kinda hard to see in the photo.
    Plus, i am pretty sure that's not the original clear coat, this chest was restored sometime in the past (lid was warped) and i am guessing they added clear coat at that time.
    Still haven't removed clear coat as of today but (except small spot at top), i don't see it as a "historical surface" that shouldn't be removed either.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. James Conrad

Well, for a minute there I thought we were gonna have a little "dust-up" over the "grunge movement" which, has lost a lot of steam in the past few years. Not near enough to suit me though, dirt is dirt and not patina! just sayin.......

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted